• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Curing Salts

Started by fong0041, July 25, 2011, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fong0041

Hi, does anyone know if DQ curing salt (from Butcher-Packer.com) is an adequate replacement for Instacure (sausagemaker.com).  The DQ curing salt is significantly less expensive than the Insta cure, thus my inquiry.

Thanks!

Nathan

OU812

Yes they are the same, just make sure your using #1

Its also called Prague Powder #1

Habanero Smoker

Here is some additional information on curing salts. Just note that the measuring guide is mainly for the use in sausage making.

Curing Salts

I've never notice the price difference in the past. Depending on where you purchase it Instacure is three times more expensive.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

fong0041

Awesome, thanks!  This weekend, I'll be making my first attempts at Venison/pork snack sticks, Venison/pork summer sausage, and (beef/venison) Lebanon Bologna!  I got the recipe for lebanon blologna from sausagemaker.com, but noticed that casings and curing salts were cheaper on Butcher-Packer.  I bought a pound each of #1, and #2, and intend to follow the recipes very closely.  Does anyone know, can I deviate from the recommended meat ratios (maybe do 50/50 pork/venison vs 20/80) while maintaining the same recipes and amounts of cure??

Thanks again!

Nathan 

OU812

You can change anything you want BUT the amount of cure to meat/fat.