• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork butts, Need advice.

Started by TonyI, November 19, 2005, 02:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxertrio

Tony,  I just did another 8-9lb butt at 205-210 and it took 13 hours to reach 190.  From some of the older posts, it seemed that people had better luck pulling when meat was cooked longer to a higher temp. All the butts I've done so far (2)have pulled very easily after 2-6 hours FTC.  Try cooking to 190ish, it does take alot longer but is worth the wait.  160 is done, but the fat doesn't bread down and it wont pull.  Mine will stay at 160-170 for hours before it starts climbing again.  I'm just a newbie, but this has worked great so far.  Also Wal-Mart has a digital Pyrex themo for under 10 bucks.

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

TonyI

Hey Glenn, I am a firefighter also (Lyndhurst Oh. Local 1676).  I do most of my smoking at the firehouse.  The guys really like pulled pork and even in the winter we can put the smoker out in the bays.  The only problem I see in cooking them longer is that I would have to find a way to get them going way before shift change to have them ready for dinner.  I get the idea of longer times for breaking down the fat.  It makes sense, I just need to find a way to get em going earlier so they'll have time to cook and then to ftc for a few hours.  Thanks for the advice.  Tony

boxertrio

I brought one to work today, put it on at my house at 4pm Sat and took it out it at 6am Sun..(work 7am 24hrs) FTC until 10:30 then pulled it for lunch.  Made ham and beans for dinner.  Some wicked storms comin in, no sleep tonite!!  When I bring it to work, I set up in the gear room which has an evacuator.  Works great, when B shift comes in and smells that smoke they are instantly on the hunt for left overs.

Glenn

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

gotbbq

Up to about about 185, you have to chop the meat.  Aroung 195 and ftc, the fat breaks down and its easy to pull.  I just finished 3 butts but ended at 185, ran ot of time [:(]  Tasted great, just no pull.

gotbbq

mlebwill

Tony,

I feel your pain.  I'm researching the Bradley (I think I'm giving up charcoal smokers) and I came across your thread and I think I can offer some assistance from my experience with charcoal.

One of the biggest issues I have with charcoal smokers is that after 13 hours (usually gets internal temp of 158 - 2 butts - 20 total lbs), I'm out of fuel and it is really difficult to add more coals to continue smoking.  

The trick I use is to remove the butts, wrap them heavily in foil and put in the oven at 375 until an internal temp of 190 is reached.  Once you hit 190 pull them out and place into a cooler for 4 - 6 hours (FTC).  I start pulling when the internal temp drops to 165 - 170 and it is always perfect.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Future Bradley convert after seeing the support that is offered in the forum.

boxertrio

Mike,  once you get your BS you can forget the oven transfer!  The great thing about the Bradley is the ability to set it and forget it.  So far mine has maintained temp for as long as I need with out having to mess with the temp slider at all.  Ther are some fancy do- dads some of the guys use to control temp, but so far I have not found a reason for me to need one.  The basic BS,a good thermometer, and some gloves....your ready to go.  But as with anything you can add upgrades as your budget and imagination allows.

Glenn

mizzou_fan

Here is a great detailed recipe/article on pork butts:

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesButt.html

It helped this newbie produce a mouth watering heaping platter of pulled pork my first time in the Bradley.  I pretty much followed this recipe too a T but using my own rub and basting sauce recipes with about 6 hours of alternating hickory and apple smoke to start off.  Full cooking time was around 13 1/2 hours to reach an internal temp of 200 degrees with a 6.5 pound Boston Butt.  It was very cold outside.  FTCed for 5 hours with about 1/4 cup of basting sauce into it as I foiled it.  Hope it helps.....[8D]

JJC

Welcome, Mizzou.  thanks for the website.  I personally use the Dizzy Pig rubs for most of my smoking and grilling and think they are very high quality.  Jeff (Big Smoker) sells them if you're interested . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

TonyI

Hey Glenn,  When arn't the boys on the other 2 shifts on the hunt for free food?

boxertrio

Tony,

There aren't any left overs to be had!!  B and C shift have both left their butts in our frig with post-it notes that say "smoke me"!  We have to have the best job in the world[:D]

Glenn

JJC

Hi Glenn,

Why not charge a "commission" and take a portion of whatever you smoke for yourself?  I've friends that are happy to buy all the meat or fish, I supply the brine/rub/pucks/experience/labor, and we split the finished product.  It's not that I always care about the money, it's the essence of bartering, which I really enjoy as a basic, pre-modern part of human existence.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

boxertrio

Great idea....I'll bring that up rite before I hand over the finished product[;)]

Glenn

MallardWacker

Tony,

The Box man has it right.  190ish should be find.  You need to FTC for sure.  It does make all the difference.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...