• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maple cured bacon

Started by Waltz, January 11, 2012, 11:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waltz

Made some Maple cured bacon last week using 10.5's recipe from this forum, thanks for that. If I can remember how to attach images some pictures will follow:

In fridge in cure for about a week.

Drying for a few hours until tacky.

After smoking for two hours using Maple and bumping up the internal temperature to 150F.

Cut up and started packing for freezing.
I have only tried one slice so far to taste test it but can't wait to get into some more.

Hope the image attachment works, here goes.

squirtthecat

CoreyMac

I've done about 50 lbs of bacon up to this point with various recipes and products, that maple recipe is still my favorite. Looks perfect. You realize you are now an addict right? ;D

ghost9mm

That's some real good lookin bacon, and like the maple flavor too...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

hybridcx

so I have never tried bacon before, is the internal temp 150? and is this how commercial bacon is made? also would one need a slicer to process? or would a sharp knife get the job done? thanks may want to try this one down the road...First up snack sticks

Waltz

Hi Hybridcx,
The recipe said an internal temperature of 140 to 150 so I aimed for that. Mine was taking a while so actually ended somewhere between. Not sure how commercial bacon is made, I suspect it may be cold smoked but the IT of 140 to 150 does not really cook it, it still looks like bacon you buy from the store.  I used a slicer but you could slice it with a good knife, it would get a bit labour (labor for USA use) intensive and not be so uniform though. I cut the end pieces into chunks which I will use in soups and pasta so it depends what you want to do with it.  I like the rind so left the skin on, the recipe said to remove it but that is one of the beauties of doing your own, you can do it how you like. I have cured bacon before but this is the first smoked bacon I have made, it won't be the last though, as CoreyMac said; it is addictive, not just eating it but the whole process. I started my smoking journey with jerky and snack sticks but bacon is not much more difficult and I can recommend you give it a try.

CoreyMac

Quote from: hybridcx on January 11, 2012, 08:23:28 PM
so I have never tried bacon before, is the internal temp 150? and is this how commercial bacon is made? also would one need a slicer to process? or would a sharp knife get the job done? thanks may want to try this one down the road...First up snack sticks

I have taken bacon to 128-130deg also but you MUST pan fry it before eating because its not fully cooked. The lower temp gives you the soft feel of store bought bacon when its cold (if thats what your after) The 150 deg is fully cooked and can be eaten without any additional cooking, your just heating it up after that. A good sharp knife will work fine when processing bacon, just takes longer and the slices are not exactly the same (unless you have a really steady hand)

beefmann