• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Montreal Smoked Meat

Started by Smokin J, November 22, 2005, 01:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin J

Hi Everyone

What a great forum.  I'm relatively new to smoking, but everything I have tried so far (salmon, turkey, ribs, etc.) has turned out well...largely thanks to some of the tips I have has found here!

My next mission:  Montreal Smoked Meat

Recipes seem to be heavily guarded secrets.  I haven't been able to find anything, but a friend found a recipe (i think on the net) for "curing a brisket into montreal smoked meat", but would like to compare it to another recipe, or find a tried and true one.  

Does anyone have a good recipe they would be willing to share?  

I'm new to this wonderful world of smoking...is there any etiquette for posting recipe's...IE  should I get permission before posting the recipe that I have?

Thanks!

Jay

JJC

Welcome, Jay!  I don't even know what Montreal Smoked Meat is, but be sure to let us know how you make out . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

ritzdeliman

Montreal smoked meat is actually just smoked corned beef. you are correct as the recipe is a closly gaurded secret. The choice of meat however is either brisket plates or inside round. For mine I use brisket plates because they have more flavour and come out tender when smoked properly.cure as you would a corned beef and air dry overnite then prior to smoking rub it all over with montreal steak spice and smoke at 160-180 for the amount of time according to thickness and weight. Hope that helps. ritzdeliman

Thunder Fish

<font face="Impact"></font id="Impact">WOW thanks for the insight ritzdeliman
Terry

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">I'm new to this wonderful world of smoking...is there any etiquette for posting recipe's...IE should I get permission before posting the recipe that I have?
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> The only request I believe any of us has is if you post a recipe it should be one that you have used a few times and it has proven itself to you.

When you post it if you will be clear in your amounts, steps, etc. then it will be added to our recipe site. If you have photos the better. If you have photos but no place to upload them then send them to me along with your recipe and I will host it for you.  <b><font color="blue">E-mail Me Here.</font id="blue"></b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">I'm new to this wonderful world of smoking...is there any etiquette for posting recipe's...IE should I get permission before posting the recipe that I have?
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> The only request I believe any of us has is if you post a recipe it should be one that you have used a few times and it has proven itself to you.

When you post it if you will be clear in your amounts, steps, etc. then it will be added to our recipe site. If you have photos the better. If you have photos but no place to upload them then send them to me along with your recipe and I will host it for you.  <b><font color="blue">E-mail Me Here.</font id="blue"></b>

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Smokin J
Is this the recipe that your friend sent you.
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails/recipe_5915.asp

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin J

Hi, no, that's not the recipe...here is the one I am talking about below.  We started the following process last night with 3 6lb briskets.  On 2 of them I followed the process below exactly (except left out the salt peter).  i made up a wet brine with the same ingredients and have the 3rd brisket in that.  The amounts seemed SO huge that I cut the recipe approx. in half and still had tons of rub left over.

Check this recipe out...I will let you know how this whole thing turns out.  Smoking should take place on sunday...I have a friend coming over to watch the smoker while I'm at the grey cup...doing a pulled pork on saturday for the tailgate party!

Jay

<b>Recipe for Dry Curing Brisket/Plate into Montreal style smoked meat.

With a mortar and pestle (or a coffee grinder) grind the following to a course texture:

1. 3lbs course kosher salt
2. 2lbs peppercorns
3. ½lbs sugar
4. ½lbs coriander seeds
5. 3 Tbs whole cloves
6. 10 whole bay laurel leaves
7. 2 Tbs saltpeter

Rub a 7lbs plate with raw garlic then coat with salt mixture. Let sit, covered,
in the cooler for three days. Turn it over every 12 hours.

Rinse the meat under cold running water for 5 minutes and remove all the surface
salt mixture. Let it soak in fresh water (change the water every half hour) for
3 hours.

Coat the meat with two parts cracked black peppercorns and one part cracked
coriander seeds. Press the mixture into the meat. Weight it down and place in
the cooler for eight hours.

Smoke (cherrywood) over medium-low heat for eight hours or until the internal
temperature reaches 165f. Immediately weight the meat down and let cool for
24 hours in the cooler.

Steam the meat for three hours. Immediately weight the meat and let it cool
for 24 hours in the cooler.

Re-heat the meat in the steamer for half an hour. Slice and serve.</b>

ritzdeliman

Holy crap!!! by the looks of it I would say that that is going to be salty as hell. Let me know how it turns out because apparently it is too late to stop the process. ritz[:0][:0]

Smokin J

Well,  All in all it was a successful smoke...with a tasty finished product...but not a true Montreal Smoked Meat taste in my opinion.  it did turn out a little on the salty side.  It had more of a corned beef flavour than anything I think.

Definitely not a falure, but I am still looking for an authentic recipe, or even just the basic process?  Does anyone know if the cure - smoke - steam method is even the proper process to be using?

Thanks in advance for any help or recipies!  please email me at [email protected] if you prefer.

Thanks!

Jay

PS.  did my first pulled pork & WOW...best meat I have ever tasted I think!

ritzdeliman

Well congrats on the final outcome. I've had plenty of saltlicks too, and probably many more.The only way that you can get a true Montreal style is if you marry a Swartz. Keep trying and cut down on the salt a little and maybe use a smaller batch. Instead of saltpetre try ascorbic acid (vitamin C ) it retains the colour better and is relativly okay for you.Cherrywood is a good smoke option, that is what they use in Montreal and they don't steam it, just a long smoke. I'm doing 30lbs myself tomorrow. But as you know the recipe is a secret. Ritz