Sunday Tri Tip

Started by Mach1, September 04, 2011, 09:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach1

Decided to do a Tri Tip for Sunday dinner and it was DELICIOUS!!! I have grilled many Tri Tips and this was by far the best one ever! Many thanks to Muebe for his pointers.

I'll give the break down of what I did then pics, first I cut several pockets in both sides of the meat and inserted slices of a garlic clove into the pockets, then I gave it a good coating of salt, black pepper and white pepper then wrapped it up to sleep for the night. This afternoon preheated the smoker, put some olive oil in a skillet and got it nice and hot then seared both sides for about 25-30 min, then put the tri tip in the OBS with a temp of 225* with 2 hrs. of hickory(couldn't find any oak anywhere locally) was going to take it to 155* but after about 2.5 hrs and a temp of 144* my Auber dual probe freaked out, but that will be in a different post.  So I took it out and threw it on a the grill for for 15 min, took it off and ftc'ed for 20 min.

Now for the show:

I did 2 of them,

And now the Money shot served it up, with fresh made rolls, and some dutch oven taters(bakers cut up, carrots, sweet onion, bacon, a can of budwiser, and cheese) for me the wifey, My sister, her husband and kids and everyone loved it!

Mach1

I guess I should of explained more, first pic before seasoning,

here is after

second is after searing it, third is off the grill and of course 4th is the $ shot. :D

ghost9mm

Well now that I got hungry lookin at this I guess it's time to go the kitchen.... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

Looks fantastic Mach1 ;D

When you say that you seared it in the pan with olive oil you meant 25-30 seconds a side and not minutes right?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Mach1

Oops ya definitely seconds not minutes, that's what I get for trying to type and watch tv at the same time.  :D

muebe

Quote from: Mach1 on September 05, 2011, 07:47:10 AM
Oops ya definitely seconds not minutes, that's what I get for trying to type and watch tv at the same time.  :D

:D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

hockeybamba

Looks like you trimmed off a lot of the fat cap.  I am trying tri tips for the first time tomorrow.  Would you recommend trimming?

muebe

Quote from: hockeybamba on September 09, 2011, 08:17:49 AM
Looks like you trimmed off a lot of the fat cap.  I am trying tri tips for the first time tomorrow.  Would you recommend trimming?

Tri-Tip does not need a fat cap. Unlike brisket when cooking tri-tip you are taking the IT 135F to 140F for med rare(any higher is overcooked IMHO).

If you are going to follow this sear and smoke method you will want to clean much of the outer fat ;D

hockeybamba

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am smoking three tomorrow for the first time.  Will post pictures and let you know how well I did:)

MrRaven

This looks awesome! Tri Tip is a cut of meat that is hard to find in Canada. That and brisket! But everytime I see pics of people cooking them, I crave it to try!

Mach1

I'd follow whatever Muebe says :D, these ones had the fat already trimmed off and were perfectly good without the fat.

OzSmoker

That has sealed the deal, my next smoke is going to be a Tri-tip.  The difficulty will be finding the cut of meat down here in Australia - looks like it is going to be some more hand waving and stick figures of animals.

beefmann