• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

need help with pid

Started by macsfire, September 12, 2011, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsfire

I am smoking a brisket and the temp. on the pid says it is 225, the maverick reads 292.  the smoke generator oven temp says it is 309.  I only have the smoke generator on.  When I take the pid and the maverick probes and stick them in boiling water there is only 1 degree difference.  the maverick and the pid probes are right next to each other.  the IT probes of the maverick and the pid are with in 3 degrees of each other.  Does any one know what could cause such a big difference in temp range's.  the pid is set on 225.  I set the pid to go to 250 for one hour than to back off to 225.  the meat has now been on for 4 hour's.

classicrockgriller

Wait. You only have the smoke generator on?

I take it your mean the cabinet element.

You should have your probes below the lowest rack of meat.

Not touching the meat.

macsfire

the cabinet is being controlled by the pid.  both probes are just below the meat.  I will check to see if either one is touching the meat.  thanks

classicrockgriller

Don't pay attention to the Digital reading if you are using the PID.

Next I would trust the PID temp.

macsfire

what concerned me was that the generator temp was more in line with the maverick than the pid.  Although I know that the generator temp is not that accurate.  I checked the probes and the pid was touching the frog matt.  So I rearranged them.

classicrockgriller

I don't like meat juice dripping on my wires so I tend to find a place off to the side.

pensrock

its most important that the tip of the probe not touch anything, meat, rack, tower wall or have a constant drip going onto it. the tip needs to be in the air.

beefmann

place it more in the middle or add a fan

macsfire

sense I rearranged the probes they are a lot closer in temp. about 9 degrees, I canlive with that have to find a new way to hang my probes.

pensrock

wooden spring type clothes pins work well, to hold probes.

macsfire

Thanks will give them a try.  I have been using binder clips but do not like them, they slide around to much.

Sailor

Cabinet temps will vary depending where the probes are.  There are hot and cold spots in the OBS unless one is using a fan.  Also be very careful of placing the probes under the meat as fat and juices can run down the wire and into the probe and short it out.  Been there and done that.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: macsfire on September 12, 2011, 12:58:58 PM
Thanks will give them a try.  I have been using binder clips but do not like them, they slide around to much.

I use alligator clips that can be purchased at a local hardware store or RadioShack. They come in a variety of sizes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

My Auber TC came with a clip already attached.  I just attach it to the bottom of a rack so it makes a drip loop and no danger of grease running down the wire and into the sensor.