Tomorrow is Duck Day!

Started by StickyDan, September 23, 2011, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

Ok so I've been wanting to do a smoked duck for ever.  Well, tomorrow is the big day.  I've done some research and i've come to some conclusions but I still have some questions.
From what I've read, brining is not necessary.  Is this true?  If you do brine, what's in the brine?
I'm thinking I'll smoke at 300º for about 4 hours and finish in the oven at 375º to crisp the skin.  Is this a good plan?
I'm also a little concerned about all the fat and starting a fire.  I'll have the fire extinguisher handy.  I figure I would put a large bowl/tray on the next rack below to catch the fat.   My buddy wants me to save the fat for him. 
I'm a big fan of mesquite but I'm not sure it will go well with duck.  Any suggestions?
Thanks
D

car54

Quarlow

Mesquite might be alright. This web link sounds good. When I was a kid my dad use to duck hunt a lot. Mom would make Orange duck and I could never get enough. This link suggests adding a fruit juice to your brine and I would suggest Orange. Are your ducks wild or raised?  Wild have a pretty strong flavour which you might like better tamed down by the brine. But I would brine them either way personally.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

StickyDan

Thanks guys.  Bird's not totally defrosted yet so I guess I'm gonna try this one without the brine.  I'll follow the cooking instructions on the link.

grnhs

I thought duck hunting opened tomorrow, got excited!

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

StickyDan

Ok, slight change of plans.  I was up late last night and decided to brine the bird just in case.  Simple salt and water. 
I also forgot to ask one very important question.  What kind of rub would you put on a duck???
I don't like fruit but duck is usually served something sweet.  Any ideas?  If not, I might just stick to S & P.