Deer Balls

Started by Gordon, December 05, 2005, 04:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

I forgot about this recipe until deer season rolled about.  

I use backstrap for this recipe.  I know you are all well versed in meat cuts, but backstrap is the muscle that runs to either side of the spine.  On smaller deer it can be 3-4 inches in diameter, on the 215 fat booger I shot two weeks ago, it is closer to 6-7. It is also generally round, which makes it an easier to handle appetizer.  

Backstrap does not normally need to be tenderized, but if you use another cut, or if you use beef, you may need to tenerize (mallet style) before you work with the meat.

First, I saute' up some finely diced onions, garlic, and bell pepper - salting and peppering to taste.

Then I take a slice of bacon, lay it flat, then take a slice of backstrap and lay it on top of the bacon.  Your bacon size may need to be adjusted for the size and shape of your meat.

I put a spoonful (or so) in the middle of the meat, and roll the whole thing up.  I tooth-pick it to keep it closed.  Then I smoke the rolls for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.  Hickory works good with deer.  Make sure your meat is done (bacon is a good indicator) and you should be the hit of the party.  

I can never make enough of these.  They always go fast, and there is always two of three forlorn looking people circling the plate waiting for more.

Gordo

iceman

Hi ya Gordo; Sounds like a hit recipe to me. What would be a good cut of beef from the local store? Also what temp did you smoke those little jewels at? Your making me hungry.

thostorey

Your subject line had me going a bit I'll admit[xx(]. I'm relieved[:D]and so is the deer[^]

Tom in Qualicum Beach

Gordon

Iceman - Same as always, 200-210. I have used a simple roast and then made some initial cuts to make the slices round-er. If it is a big roast, you can get all thoughty and end up with two or three pieces to make slices out of.

Thostorey - I suppose I could call them deer rolls, but nobody reads the post if I call them that[:D]

Gordo

iceman

Thanks Gordo. I'll give it a try this weekend while I'm messing around with my smoked turkey legs.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gordon</i>
<br />Iceman - Same as always, 200-210. I have used a simple roast and then made some initial cuts to make the slices round-er. If it is a big roast, you can get all thoughty and end up with two or three pieces to make slices out of.

Thostorey - I suppose I could call them deer rolls, but nobody reads the post if I call them that[:D]

Gordo
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Chez Bubba

My new medicine must be working.[;)][;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />My new medicine must be working.[;)][;)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Too freek'n funny.  Thanks!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Gordon

Do yall know the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?

Normally, you cannot find a half pound of beer nuts for under 2.50.  

But if you look, you can normally find a half pound of deer nuts under a buck.

Old deer hunter joke.

Gordo

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

iceman

MallardWacker

Gordo,

That one is going to the duck blind next Friday....

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...