Different temps with PID & maverick

Started by mikecorn.1, September 25, 2011, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

What could be causing the difference in temps. I have my PID and maverick dam near each other in a poke butt and they are reading 171/maverick and 183 PID. Which one should I go by. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Mr Walleye

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 25, 2011, 10:25:02 AM
What could be causing the difference in temps. I have my PID and maverick dam near each other in a poke butt and they are reading 171/maverick and 183 PID. Which one should I go by. 

Mike

You could be hitting a fat pocket or something with one of the probes. Try moving them. Even try pulling the probes and trade locations using the same hole to get an idea of what is right. Ultimately a boiling water test will answer how accurate the probes are but I would bet your hitting a fat pocket.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

Gonna try the swithcharoo in the same holes. Didn't think of that one. Thanks

Mike

mikecorn.1

The maverick will only read to199' when put in boiling water. ( the food probe only does this) the oven probe is perfect.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 25, 2011, 11:53:51 AM
The maverick will only read to199' when put in boiling water. ( the food probe only does this) the oven probe is perfect.

Try putting the oven probe in the food probe hole on the Maverick and test again. This will tell you if it's the Maverick or the probe that's the problem.

Mike

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 25, 2011, 12:35:48 PM

Try putting the oven probe in the food probe hole on the Maverick and test again. This will tell you if it's the Maverick or the probe that's the problem.

Mike
Will do.

Mike

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 25, 2011, 12:35:48 PM

Mike
Thanks for the tip. Found out it's the maverick that is bad.

Mike

Mr Walleye

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 25, 2011, 03:17:19 PM
That sucks!  :(

Mike
Still gonna use it, just gonna remember to add 13' to the temp reading. I even wrote on the maverick +13 on the food side. :D. I have the auber PID also and other thermometers to use :)

Mike

GusRobin

I would check it now and then to make sure it doesn't deteriorate and the differential change
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: GusRobin on September 25, 2011, 05:01:48 PM
I would check it now and then to make sure it doesn't deteriorate and the differential change
Next smoke I'm gonna double up with the PID again and test it again. :(

Mike