• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

rookie smoker help

Started by do52lo, December 08, 2005, 07:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

do52lo

HI all
I am not currently an owner, however I like what I have seen on the OBS so far.
My question is this.
I am interested in making sausge and various meat curing, but am hampered by my current equipment. Is the Bradley smoker capable of maintaining temps of 160F in cool climat temps say 0 to 32F. I believe the temperature is controlable and not either on or off, is this ture?
I understand there is a water resivoir, I assume extinguish the "wood pucks" does this add moisture to the process?
Thanks

Gordon

wow...you know enough to be dangerous....

That was a joke.  I joke.

Anyway, I have had no trouble smoking with the temps in the 30's at night, so I don't think you will have any problem.  Just make sure you have plenty of pre-heat time, and maybe add some kind of heat retention device.  Like a brick or something.   Keep the Bradley out of the wind if you can.  Under a carport, in the garage, lee-side of the house...etc. Also, make sure you leave the door closed.  At 0 degrees it will take a little while for the Bradley to recover - no peeking.  Get a remote therm and live by it.  The water bowl does add moisture to the air, but then so does the meat you are cooking.  The vent in the top should allow you to regulate that moisture.  

The only drawback that people point at on a regular basis is the specialized wood.  You cannot simply whack a piece off of something in the yard and put it in the smoker.

The upside is that you can set it, and forget it.  Or as I say, kill it and put it in a skillet.  Not a high maintenance smoker - like just about any other on the market can be.

Now if Bradley only made women........

Gordo

oguard

do52lo if you are worried about the moisture from the water bowl remove the bowl after the smoking time and empty and then place it back in smoker empty to catch any drippings.
The bradley is a great smoker and very versataille[:D]

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

do52lo

Thanks Mike, and Gordon, so you're thinking smoking women, no maintenance.. hum...check for patents[:)]

Gordon

Its the hickory no.5 that gets me everytime...[^]

Gordo

FireFighter

I was smoking last night in the single digits.

JJC

I smoked in the BS down to 0F with no problem.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Jims83cj5

I just smoked up a batch of killer jerky in my work camp in alberta 3 days ago and it was -28c and it kept the temp at 145-155 no problem with the slider just over half way

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />I smoked in the BS down to 0F with no problem.

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How on earth did you squeeze inside? Musta been pretty desperate for the ciggy![:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

John
Newton MA

Oldman

This is a hoot... about cold weather... I got up this morning and Susan has the A/C running flat out~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />This is a hoot... about cold weather... I got up this morning and Susan has the A/C running flat out~~!

Olds

Ok, Ok, rub it in . . . but at least I am cold-smoking 10# of lox this morning without needing to set up the cold-smoke cardboard box arrangement [;)]!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

iceman

What John says! I got done smoking turkey legs last night and all I had to do was turn the smoker off and let them freeze. Kindda nice sometimes. Then again along comes January and I wish I had Olds weather. Got any cheep property down there Olds?

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />I smoked in the BS down to 0F with no problem.

John
Newton MA
How on earth did you squeeze inside? Musta been pretty desperate for the ciggy![:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Cold temperatures contract matterr [;)]

With the exception of water[8D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)