• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

update from Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Started by dick621, December 23, 2005, 05:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dick621

After seasoning my BS and doing a cold smoke of some cheese sticks from Costco (5/8 in.sq. by 5 1/2 in. long) for 1hr. 40 min. with apple, which turned out delicious, I tryed some turkey breasts last Sunday. I rubbed them with some mortons quick cure, put in ziplock bag in fridge overnight. Rubbed with Mc Cormick turkey rub next morning and into the bradley for 8 hrs. with 2hrs smoke, (1/2 hickory and 1/2 cherry). Temp. 190 with vent just cracked for 7 hr.  Last hr. vent open, temp 220.  Used maveric ET 73 to moniter.  Flaver was ok, skin tough and rubbery. Ate 1/2 breast for dinner, sliced 1/2 , put in fridge for snacking, vacuum packed other one after removing from bones and froze it.  Wife
boiled bones, removed meat and used broth and meat to make a batch of bean soup.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Smoked more cheese sticks to take to family Christmas get togeather tonight.
    bought a TET-7100 PID temp. controller on e-bay yesterday. Have to get a SSR yet.  Anyone used this particular PID yet? Any pointers?
Dick
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

JJC

Hi Dick,

Glad everything turned out OK-to-MMMMMM!  I've never used nitrates on turkey--some folks say that makes the turkey taste more like a ham.  Was that a possible reason why the smoked turkey was just OK?  If so, try just a simple salt and sugar brine next time--about an hour per pound.  I smoke for 3-4 hr, and finish off in the oven so the skin gets real crispy and we get drippings for gravy.  Just a thought . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

Just smoked a whole turkey for my oldest brother today.  It was a butterball 10-12 lber pre brined.  I just broke loose the skin put rub under the skin and on top.  Popped her in on the next to lowest shelf in a as high as the heat goes bradley.  Smoked for 3 hrs of maple then cut the heat down from 250 to about 210.  finished it up in 6 1/2 hrs when breast meat hit 163f.  Skin was a crispy as you could want and was just a perfect amber color.  We won't eat it until sunday evening so the smoke flavor will have time to really penetrate.  I think to get a crispy skin just use a touch more heat.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

John
Newton MA