• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey strategy

Started by elweezo, November 19, 2011, 11:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elweezo

My friend asked me to smoke a 18lb bird for thanx in my 4 rack obs.
I am wondering
A) If te OBS could hold such a big bird
B) what is the best strategy to cook it?

Here is my thought.  Brine the Bird then smoke it for 3 hrs at about 190 degrees or less.  Then Put the bird in a bag and into the fridge and let him finish cooking in his oven Thanx morning?

What do you Vets think??
Thanks
Mike
I thought I had something intersting to put here but then I thought again

devo

I'm sure you could fit it in but its going to be tight thats for sure.
Good luck on your smoke

elweezo

TedEbear

Quote from: elweezo on November 19, 2011, 11:20:10 AM
Here is my thought.  Brine the Bird then smoke it for 3 hrs at about 190 degrees or less.  Then Put the bird in a bag and into the fridge and let him finish cooking in his oven Thanx morning?

From some of the things I've read about poultry it's not a good idea to cook them in several stages over a long period of time.  It can lead to food poisoning.  Whenever you're ready to start cooking it do it until it is completely done.  No harm in going from the smoker to the oven to crisp up the skin for an hour or so but partially cooking it and then finishing it another day doesn't sound like a good idea.

KyNola

I'm with Ted on this one.  I wouldn't cold smoke it for 3 hours and then put in the frig overnight and fire it up the next day.  The potential for bacteria is too great for me.

ArnieM

Agree with Ted and Ky.  Poultry is poisonous  :-\
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

elweezo

Thanks guys.  With a turkey that big, do u think it would be dangerous to leave it in at 250 overnight?

ArnieM

250 or even 180 should be OK.  The problem is that you don't want the IT to be sitting at 140 or less.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

For extended periods of time, with uncured poultry a safer cabinet temperature would be above 220°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

elweezo

Thanks guys,  Glad I asked. Dont wanna have my friend spending Thnxgiv on the toilet