• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My Smokey Winter Warmer

Started by MWS, December 29, 2005, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I love homebrewing. Every autumn I brew a seasonal winter warmer (dark ale) so that it will be ready for the Christmas holidays. This year, I decided to smoke some of the grains like I did last spring with a porter. I soaked two row malt in cognac and some in cherry liqueur overnight. I then smoked the grains with cherry and apple wood for about 2 hours. I wanted to kick up the alcohol content in this seasonal ale, so I added some Belgian candy sugar to the boil. I poured the first pint just before Christmas and I'm very happy with the result. The smoke flavour came through quite nicely and it has quite a kick to it [}:)]. I plan on putting some away till next year. I think the ale will benefit from some aging.

Just another way of using the Bradley that I thought I would share.

Happy New Year everbody.....

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Oldman

Years ago I did home brewing... but all that knowledge is now lost. Next time you do this if you can write it down step by step we can add this to the recipe site.  Pictures would be good to.... You do know you can directly upload images to the open forum on the recipe site (?). After that either Bill or I will edit it  for format.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Definitely provide the recipe, MWS!  I'm thinking of taking up brewing in the near future and your ale experience sounds fantastic!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Kummok

Like John, I'll be watching this thread with a passion with the intention of doing some home brewing myself[:p]  The occasional dark brews, (especially porters and stouts), are the one vice I still allow myself, regardless of my South Beach and cardiologist advisors. I firmly believe that a stout is one of the BEST things in the world for me....especially when my wife drinks one[}:)][;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Thunder Fish

I usually just use a "burn't"barley from ye local supplier,what a great idea of smoking your own thanks for the thought...........winter ale is a great brew ,I add vanilla bean to the boil ,works out great! [:p]

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />Like John, I'll be watching this thread with a passion with the intention of doing some home brewing myself[:p]  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Happy New Year guys,

Here is a good source of information to get you started with homebrewing.
http://www.byo.com/yourfirstbrew/

Also, here is a link that describes smoking grains.
http://www.byo.com/feature/597.html

This is from earlier postings on the topic of homebrew.
 http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1664&SearchTerms=homebrew

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions. Homebrewing is a great hobby.[:D]

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

JJC

John
Newton MA