• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 22, 2011, 11:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Few pounds of venison strip jerky from the 100 lbs i picked up yesterday.

pensrock

Where did you find 100 lbs. of venison? Your old neighbor move south with you?  ;)

MidKnightRider

Nice load of jerky!
Wish I could get a few Lbs of venison to make jerky with.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

Tenpoint5

100 pounds?? that's like 5-6 deer in GA aint it??
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

HA

Hooked up with a guy here in GA that shot a couple of them.

The hams were bigger than PA deer.

FreshTRAX Outdoors

I just loaded up my OSB with three racks of blacktail deer jerky...I've been smoking in a Big Chief for a long time but this is the first time using this new smoker and I'm curious how long I should apply smoke?  Started it 45 minutes ago (2:15 PST) and I've got the damper open a 1/8" or so to get the temp up a bit.  Sitting at 125 degrees right now.  Outside temp is 46 degrees and damp.

Any advice?

Many thanks!
Tom
FreshTRAX Outdoors
FreshTRAX Outdoors
www.freshtraxoutdoors.com
[email protected]

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: FreshTRAX Outdoors on November 23, 2011, 02:55:08 PM
I just loaded up my OSB with three racks of blacktail deer jerky...I've been smoking in a Big Chief for a long time but this is the first time using this new smoker and I'm curious how long I should apply smoke?  Started it 45 minutes ago (2:15 PST) and I've got the damper open a 1/8" or so to get the temp up a bit.  Sitting at 125 degrees right now.  Outside temp is 46 degrees and damp.

Any advice?

Many thanks!
Tom
FreshTRAX Outdoors

Open your vent full. Jerky will make moisture and drip. Take your jerky just like you would in your BC.

FreshTRAX Outdoors

Ok, vent is wide open now...should I try to keep the temp at 150 degrees?  I never had the option of temp control on the big chief.  I just went by time.
FreshTRAX Outdoors
[email protected]

FreshTRAX Outdoors

Speaking of time, what's a typical drying time for 1/4-3/8" thick (raw)?
FreshTRAX Outdoors
[email protected]

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: FreshTRAX Outdoors on November 23, 2011, 03:11:05 PM
Ok, vent is wide open now...should I try to keep the temp at 150 degrees?  I never had the option of temp control on the big chief.  I just went by time.

150-180*

Times can vary. Mine takes about 6-8 hours until it bends. Only put smoke to it with 3-6 pucks wood, anymore and you might as well eat a burnt log.

If you have a dehydrator you can smoke for the 3-6 puck time at 150-180 until smoke stops and then into dehydrator.

FreshTRAX Outdoors

excellent, thank you very much!  i have used a dehydrator for many years so I might try this route. 

Have a great Thanksgiving!  I'll come back in a few hours and post some photos and results.  Again appreciate the tips/help!

-Tom
FreshTRAX Outdoors
[email protected]

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 23, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
HA

Hooked up with a guy here in GA that shot a couple of them.

The hams were bigger than PA deer.

Get you one of them Ham bags I gave you and follow the Home cured ham recipe I use just cut back a little on the salt and make you some dried chipped Bambi out of one of them hams. Call me if you gots questions
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

When I was a kid we would bone out a venison hind quarter and take it to a butcher shop about 20 miles away. I never knew what he did but when we picked it up about 4 weeks later we had venison dried chipped beef so to speak. Man it was good. That place has been gone for many years now. But I still have the memories.  :)
I do remember the smokey/salty taste. Which reminds me..... does anyone know a place that will ship a few country ham steaks? Been years since I had country ham. I may start searching the web to see what I find.

FreshTRAX Outdoors

Here's the before and after photos of my jerky.  I decided against finishing in the dehydrator just due to the hassle.  I started at 2:15 and was done at 7:30, maintaining a temperature of 170 for most of that time.  I used a sweet/hot High Mountain seasoning/cure on this batch.  Thanks NePaSmoKer for the tips!  How'd yours come out?

FreshTRAX Outdoors
[email protected]