Ham Shank Pre Cooked

Started by Scotty Dog, December 09, 2011, 07:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

A little tired and lazy to find the answer to this question.  I purchased a Safeway Pork Shank or Half Ham that is fully cooked and water added.  I was thinking of adding some more smoke to this in my Bradley.  Do I use a glaze or rub for this?  How much time would you do in the Bradley?  This is a small ham at about 9.5 pounds with the bone in.  Do I need to be concerned about the IT when it is fully cooked?

devo

If it is fully cooked, you will only need to reheat it to 140°F. If it is partially cooked, or  not cooked at all, then you will need to bring it up to 152°F. As for a glaze or rub I say go for what you like.

Habanero Smoker

If you want additional smoke and glaze, I would do it in two different steps.

As Devo posted, you would need to determine if it is fully cooked (most likely) or partially cooked. If it is fully cooked, I would add cold smoke, then transfer it to a hot oven, add the glaze, and bring it up to the appropriate internal temperature. If you are going to as a seasoning, I would go with a no salt seasoning.

If it is partially cooked, I would smoke it at 200°F, then after the smoke has been applied glaze it.

Here is a unique recipe:
T-Shirt Double Smoked Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 10, 2011, 02:20:19 AM

Here is a unique recipe:
T-Shirt Double Smoked Ham

That looks pretty interesting.  May try it for New Year's day, depending on snow levels  :-\
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Hopefully; if the current weather trend hold up we won't get too much before the New Year.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)