• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Country Sausage NEPAS Recipe question

Started by kfin, December 14, 2011, 04:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfin

I am making up a batch of NEPAS country smoked sausage. I have made this once before and used it as a fresh sausage and simply omitted the cure. It was really good. This time I will add the cure and follow his smoking directions: "You want to put smoke to these at a temp of 150* for 2-3 hours. You will not cook/smoke them total because you will be pan cooking later"

Questions are: Do these need any dry time before smoking like snack sticks? Or just put them straight from stuffing into the smoke?

After smoking, we will be freezing most of them. Should we simply let them cool at room temp, then freeze, then vac seal? Or do you cool them quickly by throwing them right into the freezer?

Thanks,
Keith

Tenpoint5

Kieth I would suggest that YES you allow some drying time for the sausages. That way the smoke will stick evenly and wont be interfered with by the sausage sweating. I would cool them as soon and quick as possible since you will not be completely cooking them in the Bradley.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

kfin

Thanks 10.5, I will let them get to room temp then and load up the smoker.

I used sheep casing the first time and made links. They were awesome. For the smoked ones, what are the opinions on small sheep links versus making 1 lb rings out of hog casings? Would there be a difference in the amount of smoke taste? 3 hours sound about right?

kfin

Got another question or two.

I have 2 10 pound batches mixed up. One will be fresh so I didn't put the cure in it. I still have to add the powdered milk/soy protein concentrate. Do I just sprinkle it on the mixed up meat and work it in?

Should I put it in the batch that is going to be fresh?

THanks for helping the rookies guys!

OU812

The PM or SPC should be mixed with water till theres no clumps.

If you sprinkle on the meat youll have clumps that wont dissolve.

Hint; when measuring PM or SPC fluff in the bag with a spoon then spoon in the measuring cup and scrape off with the flat side of a knife.

kfin

So have I already screwed this up? I mixed the spices with the water that was called for, ground the meat and then mixed everything in.....except the powder.

Should I go ahead and mix it with water until no lumps and mix it in?

What about the batch that is going to be fresh? Put it in or leave it out?

Thanks again.

NePaSmoKer

Yes mix with the water.

The fresh mix with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup then mix in.

kfin

Thanks NEPAS, so more water mixed with it won't mess up the sausage?

devo

That little bit of water you won't even notice it.