• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going for a Wok!

Started by FLBentRider, December 16, 2011, 03:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

On an electric range they do not work well. You probably be better off getting another electric one, but I don't know any thing about electric woks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I'm deciding between the Breville and the Lodge, I know I can get the Breville locally, and it is a Christmas present for the Mrs, so I'm kinda short on time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I've never had any luck with a wok on an electric range, but I've never used a cast iron wok. I just took a look at the Breville, and if it performs the way they say; that may be the way to go.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jiggerjams

Quote from: 3rensho on December 16, 2011, 10:07:54 PM
Personally I'd never get an electric or anti-stick wok.  Can't get them hot enough for "wok heh".  You need a steel wok and a wok ring that puts out some serious btu's.

The Breville electric gets to 425 F. Should I be looking for something hotter? My meals for four are ready to plate in less than 10 minutes as it is. Here is a link for a review of the product.
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesecookingequipment/fr/Breville-Electric-Wok.htm

devo

I bought a cast iron wok about five years ago. I use it for all kinds of cooking. Very nice addition to any kitchen. They are more expensive than most out there but well worth the price. I even put mine on my turkey fryer burner in the summer to make french fries.

La Quinta

I am totally with Jigger on this...I have the breville cast iron electric wok...stir fried pork and veggies done and on the plate in 15 minutes...I love the thing...I also fry chicken wings in it...I prefer it to splattering grease all over the stove...and it cleans up so freaking easy...

If you've had an old electric wok that crapped out (like i did) you will be amazed at how fast this one gets hot...

jiggerjams

Devo - great looking wok!
LQ - My experience exactly. I couldn't believe the performance when I first got this wok for a gift.

FLBentRider

I picked up the Breville Hot wok.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SiFumar

Quote from: La Quinta on December 17, 2011, 06:56:39 PM
I am totally with Jigger on this...I have the breville cast iron electric wok...stir fried pork and veggies done and on the plate in 15 minutes...I love the thing...I also fry chicken wings in it...I prefer it to splattering grease all over the stove...and it cleans up so freaking easy...

If you've had an old electric wok that crapped out (like i did) you will be amazed at how fast this one gets hot...

LQ which model is the cast iron one?   I might be interested in that one.

jiggerjams

Congrats FLB. Let me know what you think of it after you get to take it for a test drive. Is great and effortless with popcorn too.

devo

QuoteIs great and effortless with popcorn too.
Heck I never even thought of popcorn with mine before, thanks for the info

3rensho

QuoteI have to ask what a "Wok Heh" is. Is that the stove ring.

Sometimes spelled "wok hei" is a Cantonese phrase to describe the look and taste of wok'd food cooked with lots of heat, flames and smoke.  A wok ring is a round gas burner with an outer ring to set the wok on.  The flames come all up the sides of the wok.  Definitely for use outside unless you have a restaurant type of hood in your kitchen like a friend of mine does.

Something like this - http://chowtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Wok-Hei-Flaming-Wok.jpg  and

this - http://www.womguide.com/assets/images/images/March10/25March/DPD1.jpg
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

La Quinta

Si...I looked on the Beville site and I can't find my model...I have to find the manual to see the model number and I looked everywhere I would have pit it...

Nuff said... >:(

SiFumar

Thanks for trying LQ...if you've had it for a while they may have discontinued your model if they don't have on the web site.

Quarlow

Quote from: 3rensho on December 18, 2011, 10:10:25 PM
QuoteI have to ask what a "Wok Heh" is. Is that the stove ring.

Sometimes spelled "wok hei" is a Cantonese phrase to describe the look and taste of wok'd food cooked with lots of heat, flames and smoke.  A wok ring is a round gas burner with an outer ring to set the wok on.  The flames come all up the sides of the wok.  Definitely for use outside unless you have a restaurant type of hood in your kitchen like a friend of mine does.

Something like this - http://chowtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Wok-Hei-Flaming-Wok.jpg  and

this - http://www.womguide.com/assets/images/images/March10/25March/DPD1.jpg
Thanks 3R, that is kind of what I figured.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.