• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Door Breaking and Bad Element

Started by DBK, December 14, 2011, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBK

I have had my six rack Bradley for a little over a year. I have had two elements go bad and the lower door broke twice. OK we'll I have used the unit maybe ten times. I just replaced the second lower door plastic and during the first use after it cracked again. I did not over tighten the small screws it just cracked in the same spot. After calling Bradley they said my warranty was up and I would have too buy the parts. No way I spent over $400.00 for this smoker and it works great but keeps breaking. My neighbour purchased a propane smoker for $150.00 and no problems. Guess I will have to do more research on my next smoker

viper125

Good idea! i did before buying my Bradley. I can't really say why it's happening though. I have had no problems at all. Except maybe moving it in and out and putting pressure carrying it or setting it down,,,maybe.  I did mine about 3-4 times and decided to set up permanent in one spot. I hope this prevents it. Checked it all over the other day while doing the dual mod upgrade and it all looks fine and no cracks I can see. Hope you have better luck on the next one.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

By the way if your getting rid of it. I'd part it out. I just bought fair-chases package he posted and their were a lot asked about parts after I did, Good way to get back some money with out repairing it to sell. Just an idea.
Inside setup.

Dean405

I have had all of the issues you have had... I am on the third heating element and my third door hinge. There is a lot of talk on here about "improved designs", but I have seen no evidence of it.  I too have picked out my next smoker.

NePaSmoKer

Ya just aint holdin yer mouth right is all  :o

viper125

Seems weird to me! For a while there was a big issue with the elements. But then they changed suppliers and It just seems the same people keep having problems still. Others have done! Now I'm not saying this is hat is happening or not. But seems some people are doing something I don't know what. That others aren't doing causing this problem.
There are other people who just log on from other smoker sites to make it look bad also. I have heard of it. No names mentioned. Just like they log on temporarily to say how good a certain brand is.
I have two elements burning and no problems what ever. Went over my smoker and no cracks what ever. I would say its because mine isn't so old. But some of these people are having issues from beginning.
I guess this whole deal kind of don't even make sense to me. But I am enjoying mine.
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Quote from: viper125 on December 19, 2011, 11:35:29 AM
Seems weird to me! For a while there was a big issue with the elements. But then they changed suppliers and It just seems the same people keep having problems still. Others have done! Now I'm not saying this is hat is happening or not. But seems some people are doing something I don't know what. That others aren't doing causing this problem.
There are other people who just log on from other smoker sites to make it look bad also. I have heard of it. No names mentioned. Just like they log on temporarily to say how good a certain brand is.
I have two elements burning and no problems what ever. Went over my smoker and no cracks what ever. I would say its because mine isn't so old. But some of these people are having issues from beginning.
I guess this whole deal kind of don't even make sense to me. But I am enjoying mine.

Tread lightly when making statements like these, I said a few things to that effect a while back and they didn't go over to well. I totally agree with everything you said. Now, having said this I don't believe anybody would knowingly cause damage to thier smoker. But if someone is doing something that damages the door or causes the element to prematurely fail, how would they know?, and if they don't realize they are doing something wrong of course they are going to say that they treat thier smoker properly. I own a service business as well and know all too well about the way things are used and potentially misused, and one thing I have learned is whether the customer is mis-using his equipment or not (knowing or unknowingly) its always the equipments fault. ;D  The only way you can really know is if its the same people all the time with the same issues, but even then its dificult to know, thats the problem with being in the service industry.

Anyways I think I've gotten myself in enough trouble already.

viper125

Well not trying to cause problems. I can set the reasons Bradley are built the way they are. If they would build with 1/4 material no one could even carry them. Bradley is a nice machine and it its what it is. They built it you can buy or not. But as far as i'm concerned it's one of the nicest high tech ones there is. It's light so you can move in and out. it's about as set and forget as I think you can get. I could built a stronger one my self,but not as nice or as high tech. I love mine.

I also agree! I dealt with the public for years as a mechanic. It was either the cars fault or mine. Never their's. Funny the same cars same work with others and received high praise.
Inside setup.

tomk

hmmm, i cant actually see why i would feel the need to carry my smoker around.
I have a mechanical shop and i cant see the big difference in weight by changing the door hinge and lower plate to steel, maybe 1-2 pounds.

As for the owner own fault question, that may be the thruth in some cases.
But from my view and regarding my smoker the door hinge and lower plate is not even made of good quality platic, but really cheap bad plastic.
And how on earth could so many heathing elements go bad because of wrong use ?

mwilliams7967

Just to throw my two cents in here.  My lower plate is also cracked.  I will say I have moved mine several times in a pickup to a vacation home.  However, I am positive it was never dropped or put down hard.  I will admit though, I'm pretty positive this is the reason for the crack. I cant see any other possibilities of it cracking on it's own.  I have two friends with the same issue, and yes they move them as well.  Three inch piece of black duct tape, looks like new!!!!!

viper125

Well the elements issue is null for quite a while. It was a bad supplier.
Inside setup.