• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Andouille Question

Started by kickedback, December 31, 2011, 08:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickedback

I'd like to make some Andouille because my wife wants Jambalaya. I know that the pork should be seasoned before grinding, but I've yet to buy a grinder or stuffer yet. I am still researching my options on both of these items before I pull the trigger on them. More than likely will go with Kirby cannon, not sure on grinder.

Ok, the question I have is can I get decent results from going and getting bulk sausage from the meat market and seasoning it?

Should I get lean pork?

I plan on using my jerky cannon to stuff the casings and smoke in the OBS.

I have a 3 day weekend to pull this off for her. If this option is pointless and I have to settle for store bought smoke sausage, so be it, just let me know. My options are limited for good sausages around here. That's why I want to start making my own.

I've got ribs out to buy me a day, so any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

squirtthecat

You can probably get 'fresh' ground pork from the store...   They can grind it and give it to you unseasoned.

Not sure of the meat/fat ratio.  I'll let the experts chime in there.

SouthernSmoked

If your local store will grind up a butt for you, with the fat, this is all you should need.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SouthernSmoked

I purchased a new grinder a couple weeks back.....

Absolutely love it!

Lem Stainless Steel #8 .35HP Meat Grinder  Price:     $269.99  Free Shipping
http://www.landmsupply.com/shop-by-brand/lem-stainless-steel-8-35hp-meat-grinder
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DisplacedCoonass

Part of andouille success (for me at least) is proper texture as well.  Store bought ground pork is IMHO going to be to fine of a grind for andouille.  I prefer 80% coarse grind and 20% 1/4" cubes.  Also haven't found a store yet that will grind pork for me.  Perhaps I'm not talking to the correct people.

ratherbboating

Like DisplacedCoonass, I prefer a coarse grind and some cubes.  And lots pf smoke.  The last batchhttp://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25460.msg312348#msg312348 I made was good, but lacked something.
When I finish this batch, will try again.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Ka Honu

If you don't have a grinder, you can cut about 5 pounds of pork butt into 1/4-inch cubes and mix it with about 1/2 pound fat to get the right texture. Season as you mix.  It's a pain in the butt (so to speak) but it works pretty well and approaches the texture of Wayne Jacobs' andouille (and he's the best).

Habanero Smoker

Also a food processor can give you a coarse "grind". That also is a pain in the neck, because you can only process .5 - 1 pound of meat in an 11-cup processor at a time; or you may burn out your motor. Cut the meat into small cubes, and you have to pulse chop it until you get the consistency you want and be careful of not over processing it. It will not be like ground meat, but it does work for sausages.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kickedback

Thanks for the help everybody. Had the butcher grind up some fresh for me. Was a little finer grind than I would have liked, but I'll give it a try. It's meat and it will be smoked, so it has to be good!