• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cure 1 or Mortons tender quick

Started by smokerbobrobb, January 01, 2012, 11:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokerbobrobb

We just purchased the Jim Beam Bradley yesterday and want to attempt smoking susage this fine New Years Day.  The only cure we could find was MTQ, can this be used instead of
cure #1?  Its a bit confusing because MTQ contains the Nitrite and nitrate.  Please help   

GusRobin

I'm far from an expert put here is a link to info on cures from the recipe site. Hope it helps.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokerbobrobb

Thank you GusRobin wiill check the link out

Habanero Smoker

Hi smokerbobrobb;

Welcome to the forum. Gus has provided you with a link that give you the amounts of TQ to use for sausage. The major problem with using TQ for sausage is that you cannot control the salt amount.

If you are substituing TQ in a recipe that calls for Cure #1, you must add 1.5 teaspoons of TQ per pound of meat/fat, and also eliminate any salt that is called for in the recipe. When I use TQ in sausage, I like to let it cure for a couple of hours prior to placing it in the smoker (personal preference).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

anderson5420

I use MTQ a lot, both as a cure for dried loin and coppa, and in smoked and cooked sausage, just because I started with it many years ago because it was locally available. Mortons does recommend 2.5 tablespoons of MTQ per 5 lbs of meat, which of course is 7.5 teaspoons. This is also the amount of salt you would typically use with 1 teaspoon of cure #1 for 5 lbs of meat.  But MTQ has both salt and sugar in it, so this would be less salt than cure #1 and salt.  There is probably no way to know for sure, as much art as science. The difference is probably slight, but you probably could add some additional salt, half a tablespoon up to a tablespoon for 5 lbs of meat, without overshooting the mark.

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 02, 2012, 03:33:29 AM
Hi smokerbobrobb;

Welcome to the forum. Gus has provided you with a link that give you the amounts of TQ to use for sausage. The major problem with using TQ for sausage is that you cannot control the salt amount.

If you are substituing TQ in a recipe that calls for Cure #1, you must add 1.5 teaspoons of TQ per pound of meat/fat, and also eliminate any salt that is called for in the recipe. When I use TQ in sausage, I like to let it cure for a couple of hours prior to placing it in the smoker (personal preference).
So many recipes, so little time!

viper125

I use it and I subtract equal amount of salt from recipe as TQ Works for me.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

La Quinta

I use MTQ a lot...especially with cold smoked salmon...

Habanero Smoker

The break down in TQ is: (sugar cure may have a higher sugar to salt ratio)
~78% salt, ~29% sugar, .05 sodium nitrite; .05% sodium nitrate; and less then 1% propylene glycol to help keep the mixture uniform.

I use to use TQ, but find that I can control the amount of salt better with cure #1 especially in sausages, and use less salt than if I used TQ; and if I don't want the added sugar I can eliminate it; which you can't do with TQ. Saltiness is a personal preference, and I don't like too much salt in my sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)