• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BabybackRibs!! Help Me!!

Started by markt, January 13, 2006, 02:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

the Cooler side of the FTC is meant to "maintain" temps as best as possible.  One of the wild and strange magic of FTC is the process, if done correctly and quickly is that is holds the external temperature of the meat, allowing more internal heating to continue the thermal infusion and rendering in a long and slow manner.  And the subtle cooling allows the surface to seal and hold the moisture and rendered material better.  

So the cooler is best not cold as it will short-circuit the continued hot surface infusion.  Also, after a few FTCs, that cooler will begin to take on a nasty odor.   Best to dedicate a cooler to FTC only.  The smell gets strong with frequent usage.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

boxertrio

I put about 3" of hot water in mine 30min before FTC to warm it up, drain and put in the meat.

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Gary . . . having a cooler take on a smoky smell is a small price to pay for the result! [8D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

TexasBBQ

Mark, one of my favorite rib recipes of all time came straight out of BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen (Wal-Mart $14.84)

It is called Apply City Championship Ribs and it involves soaking the ribs overnight in apple cider. While of course it is not the exact "secret recipe" the team used to win all 3 Grand World Championships it was a good start and I made a few modifications to the "Magic dust" etc.

I certainly don't want to break any copyright laws by posting the exact recipe here but the book is easy to find and well worth the price. I have made a lot of ribs over the years but the request I continue to hear the most is "when are you gonna make some more of those apple ribs?"  LOL

Just ordered my BS from Chez yesterday so I'll get mine next week and that recipe will be on the top of my list after I get the thing broken in. Chez's package even came with some of the "Apple Wood" Bisquettes which is what the original recipe calls for and I have not tried yet..... my mouth is already watering just thinking about it.

Ya Gotta love good BBQ

gotbbq

Barry-

Your comments about the rub are so true.  I've done hundreds, some with rub in fridge and others (started cause I forgot to do them the night before)as they warmed.  By far better and jucier when the rub doesn't sit too long.  I always apply the mustard, then rub just prior to smoking.  

PS  I ran out of hickory and only had mesquite.  Smoked for 3 hrs with mesquite (5 total) - way too strong for me, it was over powering.

gotbbq