• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Do we have a traveling icon?

Started by Drac, January 02, 2012, 05:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Hi all,

Got a question for you all.

I am a member of several forums (I have some weird hobbies) and several of them have traveling icons.  These are things like plaques and quaichs (it a kilting forum) that are passed around to members for either get togethers or travel.  The plaque on a Scottish clan forum went with me to NOLA for Mardi Gras and got tons of pics of it around town.  It has logged I think over 50K miles.  Another forum there was a contest to get a rugby scarf around the worl in 6 months.  Had some fantastic pics on that one.

What do you guys think?

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

beefmann

likes the idea, Maybe a plaque in the shape of OBS

Drac

I know a carver but looks like the crowd went mild on this.

Jim

Bavind

mikeradio

I do something similar with geocaching, I have geocoins that have a trackable number, and as people move it from cache to cache, it logs on the geocaching website where the coin has traveled.  Fun stuff

TedEbear

Another geochacher. I discovered that fun hobby about a year ago.   8)

On another forum we had a motorcycle rear sprocket that started out on the east coast and eventually made it to the west coast two years later.  At each leg the person who moved it would sign or stamp their name on the sprocket, move it to a new hidden location (via motorcycle) and post the details on how to find it.  It was a fun thing to participate in.

Leadfoote

Quote from: Drac on January 02, 2012, 05:34:02 AM
Another forum there was a contest to get a rugby scarf around the worl in 6 months.  Had some fantastic pics on that one.

Is that a rugby forum Drac?

I'm keen to see those pics!!!

Drac

Quote from: Leadfoote on January 03, 2012, 11:53:51 AM
Quote from: Drac on January 02, 2012, 05:34:02 AM
Another forum there was a contest to get a rugby scarf around the worl in 6 months.  Had some fantastic pics on that one.

Is that a rugby forum Drac?

I'm keen to see those pics!!!

It was the kilting forum X-Marks the Scot.  The thread is http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f98/welsh-rugby-scarf-travel-log-pictures-67056/  As far as I know it never got to a rugby game, it's rather funny now that I think about it.  It was a challenge by one man's friend that if he could get it done he would make a donation to a charity.

If people are interested what about something like a steel plaque?  Or maybe something useful like a jalapeno rack?

Jim