• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold Smoked Rib Steak

Started by PMillen, January 06, 2012, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMillen

Marcia maintains that our recent steaks, "Don't taste as good as they did from our old grill."  She says they don't have a "grilled flavor."  Our old grill was a gasser with ceramic briquettes below the grates.  The current one has tent-shaped metal over the burners.

I decided to cold smoke two rib steaks with oak bisquettes for an hour then vacuum wrap and refrigerate for a day, based on the suggestion Smoking Duck made in this post; http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8748.msg91462#msg91462.  I chose oak based on the chart at www.samssmoker.com.  There was a light smoke smell as the steaks warmed from the refrigerator.

The steaks were rubbed with Dizzy Pig Raising the Steak and grilled.  No comment from Marcia--positive or negative.  I'm thinking of adding two more bisquettes.

Ambient temperature was 34* with 26 MPH wind and higher gusts when I started to warm-up the smoke generator which is kept indoors.  The smoker temperature was 106* after a half hour to heat the burner plate.  I changed the water (tap, cold), added a tray of ice on shelf two (counting from the bottom), put the meat on shelf three and started my cold smoke with the vent completely open.  Beginning smoker temperature was 79*.  At 15 minutes it was 83*.  At 30 minutes, 90*.  At 45, 92* and at an hour it was 95*.  I didn?t monitor the meat IT.

Ready for vacuum wrapping

So, I have a few questions?

1. Was 30 minutes to heat the smoke generator too long?
2. When cold smoking meat, what?s the maximum smoker temperature you?d accept?
3. What?s your choice of wood and smoke duration?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul
Grill 1:  Ubiquitous Weber Kettle
Grill 2:  Gasser
OBS w/Dual Probe Auber PID
Cookshack PG-500

Habanero Smoker

Thirty minutes to heat the generator is not too long, but before placing the meat in the cabinet you should open the door for awhile and allow the cabinet to cool done.

Depending on your source 90?F is the maximum temperature, but I like to keep it between 70-80?F.

Oak is a very good choice for beef.

For thin cuts like steaks, and chop I generally only apply 40 minutes of smoke. Just remember to allow the cabinet to cool down before adding the meat, and periodically open the door to allow the temperature to drop; you will still have plenty of smoke. Also it is better to offset the generator, by making or buying a cold smoke adapter.

Cold Smoke Adapter
These can also be made of wood, metal etc, and Bradley make an adapter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kickedback

I usually go with 2 hours of mesquite below 90 degrees. I season with course sea salt, garlic salt, and pepper before smoking. Seal up and put in fridge over night.