• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Deer Jerky 101

Started by Scheidl, January 28, 2012, 02:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scheidl

So I purchased a Bradley Digital 4 rack a bit ago. And am very unfamiliar at how to use it. 1st smoke, elk jerky turned out good, 3.5 to 4 hrs with smoke on full time, seems elk is easier to do.  2nd Smoke, Salmon fingers they turned out ok but were too moist as I used water bowl. 3rd Smoke, Disaster deer jerky, blacker than the ace of spades.  I have been scanning the boards for the best method to go by.  I am looking for a Bradley Deer smoking for dummies, hahaha.  Would be nice to have a Sticky thread on here, for complete method of how to do a smoke.  If anyone would like to help me out it would be appreciated.  Being someone new to this I think I could identify the areas people aren't sure about. So here's a list of areas I would like to know about.
1. pre smoking? pre heating of unit
2. meat spacing on racks?
3. when to use water bowl
4. cook time/temp
5. amount of smoke?
6. rack rotation?
7. how to tell when its done? bend test? appearance?
8. packaging? use oxygen packs?
If any newbies read this, add there topics of interest to this, i'd like to compile everything into a guide. thanks for the help, Steve

NePaSmoKer

If your jerky came out black thats a sign of too much moisture, improper venting.

Hows about some pics?

Scheidl

It was way over smoked. Sorry no pictures, from now on, i'll start taking pics.

mikecorn.1

Yeah. Cause you know what they say round these parts

Again, stole this from another member. Can't remember who :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sailor

Quote from: Scheidl on January 28, 2012, 02:14:15 PM
So I purchased a Bradley Digital 4 rack a bit ago. And am very unfamiliar at how to use it. 1st smoke, elk jerky turned out good, 3.5 to 4 hrs with smoke on full time, seems elk is easier to do.  2nd Smoke, Salmon fingers they turned out ok but were too moist as I used water bowl. 3rd Smoke, Disaster deer jerky, blacker than the ace of spades.  I have been scanning the boards for the best method to go by.  I am looking for a Bradley Deer smoking for dummies, hahaha.  Would be nice to have a Sticky thread on here, for complete method of how to do a smoke.  If anyone would like to help me out it would be appreciated.  Being someone new to this I think I could identify the areas people aren't sure about. So here's a list of areas I would like to know about.
1. pre smoking? pre heating of unit
2. meat spacing on racks?
3. when to use water bowl
4. cook time/temp
5. amount of smoke?
6. rack rotation?
7. how to tell when its done? bend test? appearance?
8. packaging? use oxygen packs?
If any newbies read this, add there topics of interest to this, i'd like to compile everything into a guide. thanks for the help, Steve
1. Pre heat the cabinet to the temp that you desire while you are getting your meat ready.
2. I use a gun for ground beef jerky and I don't have very much space between the rows and they do just fine.
3. The water bowl should be used when smoking.  The water is to catch the burned pucks and to put them out.  Once your are finished with the smoking you can take the bowl out unless you are doing meats that produce grease.  The water bowl with water will catch the grease and reduce the exposure to fire.
4. Cook time is.....it's done when it's done.  For jerky I use 150 degrees.  You are trying to dry the meat and not cook it.
5. Amount of smoke depends on your liking.  Normally 2 hrs of smoke is plenty.
6. Rotate top to bottom.  Front to back.  I rotate every hour.  If you have a fan mod you may find that you don't need to rotate.  Better to be safe than sorry so rotating the racks will reduce the risk of drying the back rows too fast.
7.  Jerky is done when it bends but does not break.  If it breaks it is too done.
8.  I would recommend that jerky be vac sealed and then put in the freezer.  You want to remove air from the product so it will not spoil.  If you have a hungry household then storing should not be a problem as it will get eaten up  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Scheidl

Would like an explanation on the water bowl use,   my understanding is to not use it with water, because you are trying to dry the meat out.  Am I wrong, or is there a time you add it and time you take it out? just some clarification, thanks guys

Sailor

When you are "smoking" which means you are burning pucks you need the water bowl to catch the pucks and put them out.  After the smoke you are fine to remove the water but keep the bowl under the V-Tray.  If you are doing meats that produce grease you should empty the pucks from the water then fill it back with water to catch the grease.  Remember a fire in a Bradley is not something one wants to have.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.