• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brining versus Curing

Started by Foodie, January 05, 2012, 04:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foodie

I have this very lovely book by the Culinary Institute of America (CIA ...lol) it's called "the art of charcuterie"

Lovely book - but anyway - in it's "smoker" section it talks a lot about curing versus brining and one thing it mentions is that dry-curing tends to dry out meat - but wet brining keeps the meat much more moist...

So I was thinking - that if a meat is fatty (like bacon) versus a pork loin (the bacon eye) which lacks much fat and is a 'drier meat' to roast even...then how do u decide whether u brine or dry cure?

I am curious? (for me - I would think wet brine for the pork loin and dry (or wet) brine for the bacon? Is that how it works?

Piker

With belly bacon I have tried both ways but have found I can control the saltiness better in a brine rather than dry cure. All of the loins I have done have been in the brine but have watched the temp very carefully in the smoker because you can get it dried out if you go to high. Which is what I did on my last one so I use it in soups and stews and omelets. Tastes good. Piker

Habanero Smoker

I was going to purchase that book, but held off because of the reviews I read on Amazon.com.

If it is small enough to dry cure (dry brine) I use that method. Once I used both methods to make corned beef which were made into pastramis, and the one that was dry cured was more moist. I prefer the texture better. Wet brine is generally faster when curing the meats, but takes up a lot of space.

I only take pork loins up to 140-142?.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Foodie

Good point Haberano - space is a premium in my fridge too.... ;)

I was going to try both methods and compare the result. Soaking meat in "water" is not something that appeals to me to be honest?

Is it worth investing in one of those temp probes that go into the meat but have the readout on the outside do u think? I am opeing the door and inserting a probe to check - and it sounds vain - but my hair stinks by the end of a smoke!? lol...

Maybe your library has a copy of the book to peruse first? I love it as it explains things very well (can be a bit scientific on the details - but I like that myself..) It explains the food safety behind chacuterie (incl smoking brining etc) really well.
I have another less fancy one called "Chacuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brain Polcyn (US book) that's good too.

Habanero Smoker

"Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brain Polcyn, is a good book. I does a good job in covering most areas of charcuterie.

If you want books that provide a wealth of information, and very technical; "The Art of Making Fermented Sausage" and "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages", both by Adam & Stanley Marianski are good books, but in my opinion not organized well. You can find all the information that are in their books also on their website: Wedliny Domowe. Though the books are much more handy then going through the webpages.

If you are into mainly sausage "Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing", by Rytek Kutas is a good book, that also has some recipes for cured meats. You will like this book, because he uses a lot of salt.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Foodie

Thanks Haberano  :) They sound like worthy additions to the home library...

Tater

Quote from: Foodie on January 05, 2012, 08:18:54 PM

Is it worth investing in one of those temp probes that go into the meat but have the readout on the outside do u think? I am opeing the door and inserting a probe to check - and it sounds vain - but my hair stinks by the end of a smoke!? lol...

Absolutely!  A good thermometer can save you a bunch of trouble.

itchybeard

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 06, 2012, 02:25:18 AM
"Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brain Polcyn, is a good book. I does a good job in covering most areas of charcuterie.

I second this from Habanero Smoker , It was on my Christmas list. Great book. They endorse the Bradley smoker as well.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D