Couple stick questions

Started by nasels, January 10, 2012, 10:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasels

Couple stick questions:
Substituting regular cheese for high temp, any regular Cheddar or a Velveeta type
What type string to tie casing ends and do you soak strings in water if using oven to cook ?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: nasels on January 10, 2012, 10:02:12 PM
Couple stick questions:
Substituting regular cheese for high temp, any regular Cheddar or a Velveeta type
What type string to tie casing ends and do you soak strings in water if using oven to cook ?

Yes you can use regular packaged cheese. Try to stick to harder cheeses and cube 1/4" x 1/4" Softer cheeses will melt faster and make mushy sticks.

Use butcher twine to tie the ends (no need to soak) and will be fine in the oven. Speaking of you will need a low temp of 150-170, anything higher and you will fat out the sticks.

Let us know how the sticks turn out.

How i cube cheese for sticks, sausage, bologna, SS

devo

What the heck is that now Rick, looks like a good tool/toy to have :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: devo on January 11, 2012, 04:25:09 AM

Had this for years. Its a cuber 1/4" x 1/4"

Perfect for cheese, have the mini to 1/8 x 1/8

OU812

Quote from: nasels on January 10, 2012, 10:02:12 PM
Couple stick questions:

I wouldnt use Velveeta,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it will melt.

Like Rick said stay with the harder kinds of cheese.

nasels

Thanks for your patience --- I know I have asked very simple questions at times :o I am waiting on the LEM jerky cannon to arrive and I will attempt my first sticks. High mountain pepper and garlic mix.

Thanks rick for the temp info. I checked the oven setting today 170 is as low as it will go and I need to crack the door while cooking --- correct?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: nasels on January 11, 2012, 04:36:51 PM
Thanks for your patience --- I know I have asked very simple questions at times :o I am waiting on the LEM jerky cannon to arrive and I will attempt my first sticks. High mountain pepper and garlic mix.

Thanks rick for the temp info. I checked the oven setting today 170 is as low as it will go and I need to crack the door while cooking --- correct?

YW

Yes you might have to use something to push the little slide in, like a measuring cup with the bottom against the slide. The oven door will hold it there.

nasels

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 11, 2012, 05:39:05 AM
Quote from: devo on January 11, 2012, 04:25:09 AM

Had this for years. Its a cuber 1/4" x 1/4"

Perfect for cheese, have the mini to 1/8 x 1/8

Did a search found the nicer dicer but seems may have to buy the big set to get a 1/4 inch dicer. Most seem to be the 1/2 dicer. I will have to look closer .

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us13&q=dicer+nicer

nasels

The LEM cannon showed up today ;D

viper125

Use real cheese not a processed like Velveeta or some of those ones. THey don't use dairy just a oil. Makes good grilled cheese cause it melts so fast. Use a good hard cheese and no real high heat. Low and slow.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Piker

s it is hard to get hi-temp cheese up here I have been experimenting. The best is Tillamook which I get In Montana which is an hour away. Tolerates 170f and is excellent tasting. I use both cheddar and the pepper jack which is really outstanding. Piker