• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Storing Snack Sticks

Started by Panthur, January 22, 2012, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthur

Hey guys.....I have made only a few batches of snacks to date....I cold shower them after removal from smoker and then set on the cupboard an hour or so. Then I put in zip lock bags and freeze but I am always developing a fair amount of snow so it seems inside the zip lock bags. What should I be doing different please ?

mikecorn.1

You should invest in a vacuum sealer. I recently got one and makes huge differences when storing and freezing stuff. No freezer burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

pensrock

I never put my sticks into cold water.

Sam3

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 22, 2012, 02:14:55 PM
You should invest in a vacuum sealer. I recently got one and makes huge differences when storing and freezing stuff. No freezer burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2

NePaSmoKer

X3

Zip lock bags create to much moisture that can make the sticks and jerky go bad faster. Use a glass or plastic container with holes in the lid.

Anyone that says moisture dont happen in plastic bags is full of carp  :o

Sailor

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 23, 2012, 07:00:44 AM
X3

Zip lock bags create to much moisture that can make the sticks and jerky go bad faster. Use a glass or plastic container with holes in the lid.

Yep, regular zip lock bags will create moisture.  With that said I do store sticks in the plastic bags that I can vac seal.  I have a hand held vac sealer and those plastic bags are made for the sealer.  They work great and I have not noticed any moisture build up at all.  If I fail to vac the bag then I get moisture just like a zip bag.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sailor on January 23, 2012, 08:10:49 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 23, 2012, 07:00:44 AM
X3

Yep, regular zip lock bags will create moisture.  With that said I do store sticks in the plastic bags that I can vac seal.  I have a hand held vac sealer and those plastic bags are made for the sealer.  They work great and I have not noticed any moisture build up at all.  If I fail to vac the bag then I get moisture just like a zip bag.  ;D

Ditto with Jim

Ya have to take all the air out.

Panthur

But for freezing as well as refrigerating it is still ok to have air holes in the container too ? Will they not have much shorter freezer lifespan if not totally sealed ?  Thanks.
  :-\

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Panthur on January 23, 2012, 05:49:00 PM
But for freezing as well as refrigerating it is still ok to have air holes in the container too ? Will they not have much shorter freezer lifespan if not totally sealed ?  Thanks.
  :-\

If you want to freeze and dont have a vac sealer i would double wrap in freezer paper and tape it before you put in a ziplock bag.

You dont want to put in a plastic container with sticks or jerky and  holes in the top of the lid and then into the freezer.

What is saying is dont plastic bag the sticks or jerky then into the fridge, you will get moisture

devo

You can always try the pickman_95 way of storing them. He does this with his summer sausage but I bet if you had 5 or six sticks together and used the same principle it would work.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/A%20%20SAUSAGE%20WITH%20FRIENDS%20280%20POUNDS/?action=view&current=HOWTOWRAPTHESAUSAGE.mp4

Panthur

Got it. Thanks guys for the help. :)