• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ground Venison Jerky

Started by Bearcub6, October 31, 2011, 07:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearcub6

Here is my first attempt at making some jerky in the OBS.  Used 4 lbs of ground venison and LEM original seasoning with cure.  Smoked with hickory for 1hr 40  and finished it out in the OBS as well.  Taste is good - needs more heat...

MidKnightRider

If you need a taste tester........
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

Now thats my kinda jerky,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing but deer meat here.  ;)

ghost9mm

Yes Sir... venison jerky, and that looks just great, nice color...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Bearcub6

Thanks guys - the supply is going fast, but if you're in the area MKR I'm always willing to share.  Looks like I'll have to make more soon...I was reading about the frogmats...seems like a good way to go.  Just one question - are they better - last longer  than the Bradley jerky racks?  How about the Bradley jerky screens - do they compare to the frogmats?  Thanks in advance for any input.

OU812

Dont spend the money on the jerky racks, the coating comes off after a while and them they start to rust.

Dont have the frog mats but from what I see and here they are the cats meow.

MidKnightRider

Never seen Bradley jerky screen but do have the racks. Getthe Frog mats as the Bradley Jercky rack will flake in just a little time.
The frog mats are good for lots of stuff, wrap one around a fatty to help keep it round, etc.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

Bearcub6

Thanks again for the info.  Looks like the frog mats are the way to go.

pensrock

Frog Mats are the best choice, you can get them from Bryan at yardandpool.com hes a forum member here and a great guy to deal with.

Bearcub6

Got the frog mats from yard and pool -- FAST delivery for sure.  Tried them out and they work great.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

thegoat273

what temp did you do ur burger jerky at?  Looks good.  I have my first try in the smoker now

Sam3

Nice color on that jerky. Good job!

lmcgrew02

Great looking Jerky Bearclub!

Bearcub6

I tried to keep it at 170 (no PID yet) with the vent wide open. Had hickory smoke for 1hr 40 with about 5 hrs total in the OBS.  You need to rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Bearcub6 on January 29, 2012, 08:26:26 PM
I tried to keep it at 170 (no PID yet) with the vent wide open. Had hickory smoke for 1hr 40 with about 5 hrs total in the OBS.  You need to rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back.
You can get the frog mats at
yard and pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike