• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bricks?????

Started by nodak, January 21, 2006, 05:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

Living up here in ND Winter I followed advice on the forum here and put 1 & 1/2 bricks in my smoker.  I am in the process of sending back my raptor as it was overshooting my temp by 15-20+F for 4-5 hours than drop back down.  Could this be by the emitting heat from the bricks[?][?]  Thought of this in middle night after the reason for rheostat discussion. I would have a hard time believing this because the 4 hours length of time temp stays way too high.  Smoking ribs today and will experiment by leaving them out and see if this happens.  Temp today is nice for Jan. around 20F.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Oldman

I cannot say about the Raptor... but
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Temp today is nice for Jan. around 20F.
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">*cough* my wife is running the A/C today... [:0]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

owrstrich

its only 74 here is socal... i got my first snood burn of 2006 today...

i can see how the bricks would absorb and retain heat but i dont see how they can generate more heat than absorbed...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

nodak

Experiment completed.  Didn't help Raptor is still off.

Heck 20F in Jan in ND, we're down to our short-sleeve shirts outside.  It was a nice day to get my lawn mowed.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Habanero Smoker

When you state that the Raptor is overshooting your temps. by +15-20 degrees; how is the temp. difference being monitored? Is the guru itself going beyond your set temp. or are you using another thermometer? Have you calibrated your Guru, if you read the manual that is the first thing they suggest you do before using it. If you are using another thermometer, are you keeping both cabinet probes in close proximity. If one probe is close to the meat, and the other is not, that could account for a +15-20 degree difference.

If you have Acrobate 4 or higher you can download the Guru manual from this site http://www.thebbqguru.com/images/TheBBQGuruUsersManualrev2.4.pdf

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nodak

I have checked this with 3 other thermometers and it's always wrong(for 4-5 hours) at the beginning of the smokes.  I even wrapped all in tinfoil. If it was consistant though-out the whole smoke I could just adjust.  BBQ GURU said theirs is calibrated and my other 3 are wrong, I called and they agreed to return it, so off it goes.