• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

damage control during heater mod

Started by DocZ, February 05, 2012, 11:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocZ

So I've opened the back of the Bradley up and wonder the best way to access the mounting bolts for the reflector/heat element assy while controlling damage to the insulation. Should I just cut a rectangle to access the bolts, then reglue the section after my adventure or?

Habanero Smoker

You remove the reflector from the inside of the cabinet. It is only a matter of removing a few screws and nuts, to remove both the reflector and element.

Be careful removing the screws, they are small, and are easy to loose. Also when you reassemble the porcelain holders, do not over tighten them or they will break.

Additional Heating Element

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DocZ

Crap! You mean I didn't have to remove the back to do the 2x 500 heater mod? Looking at pics of this mod on this forum, it looked like there were two studs mounted through the inside of the cabinet. Do these studs just slide out? Guess I better revisit the DIY's on this forum.
:-\

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

TedEbear

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: DocZ on February 06, 2012, 04:37:09 AM
Crap! You mean I didn't have to remove the back to do the 2x 500 heater mod? Looking at pics of this mod on this forum, it looked like there were two studs mounted through the inside of the cabinet. Do these studs just slide out? Guess I better revisit the DIY's on this forum.
:-\

If the studs you are talking about are inside the cabinet, you don't have to concern yourself with those. They are there to help prevent new users from installing the drip pan wrong.

I find that it helps to read the instructions in full a few times before starting the project; it give you a fuller understanding of the overall project.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DocZ

Now I have that straight, but would appreciate another point of clarification regarding the wiring. The wiring diagram you have in your DIY post doesn't include the temperature sensor!? As I look at the back of the unit, the lead coming from the element comes up to the sensor and then down to the power plug. Do I connect the new element at the plug without going through the temp sensor? BTW, I just ordered the Auber PID, so it seems the second heat element won't need to be wired through the stock temp sensor, right? Thanks for your help.

Habanero Smoker

I feel the second element doesn't need to be hooked up to a temp sensor or in-line fuse; since the temperature control device (PID) is controlling the temperature.

Having said that; everyone has there own safety comfort level. Here is a link to how to install a second sensor and in-line fuse.

Additional Sensor & In-line Fuse

I
         don't
                   inhale.