• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack sticks hanging?

Started by schpundy, February 18, 2012, 03:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schpundy

Hello,
   Could anyone with experience please help me with snack stick making.
I have made 2 batches with my new smoker, and the result was pretty darn good, but I think it could have been a little better.
   I made a 10 lb. batch with 8 lbs. elk meat and 2 lbs. pork belly fat added to that.  I turned the upper rack upside down and HUNG the sticks on the rack.(32 inch stick folded in half on the rack worked good.)
  The problem I had was the sticks were not getting an even color.  So I ended up giving more smoke time than I probably should have.  This resulted in a slightly dry end product.
  Would I have been better off using four racks and laying the sticks on the racks?
   How about using mahogany casings?
I would greatly appreciate any input that you fellow smokers could give.
   Thank You much,
Schpundy

bundy

You didn't peek alot did you??

NePaSmoKer

Your choice is all. Either way you get great results. I hang mine most the time, Others rack em.

watchdog56

You may need to rotate them and turn them from front to back. The back of the smoker seems to get hotter than the front unless you have a fan kit added.

Kevin A

Quote from: watchdog56 on February 18, 2012, 06:38:47 AM
You may need to rotate them and turn them from front to back. The back of the smoker seems to get hotter than the front unless you have a fan kit added.
+1 on this suggestion. I dont have a fan kit installed in my smoker, so I do rotate front to back halfway through the smoke for even smoke/color deposition.

-Kevin

viper125

I like to hang but don't like the burnt ends. Seems no matter how much I rotate them I get them. So I rack them and rotate them. But its what works best to you.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Salmonsmoker

Another suggestion is to tie them together at both ends and half way through the smoke flip or rotate them, so the tops become the bottoms for the last half. Or, you can tie a loop in the end of the butcher twine at each end and use "S" hooks from your hanger rods, which might be easier, especially if your sticks are different lengths.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Sailor

Some good advice has been given.  I would add that doing a 10 pound load without a fan is a big load.  I have the 4 rack OBS and a 5 pound load hanging seemed to be the most that I would do.  Adding the fan kit was the best thing I did and can now do a 10 pound load of stixs and never rotate them.  20 pounds of Summer sausage is now a breeze with no rotating the hanging bars.  The smoke color of the product is much deeper.  Air circulation is the key.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

schpundy

Thank You everyone for the great advise.  I wasn't even aware there was a fan kit that was available.
  I am new to this site and everyone seems to be very nice and informative.  Thank You again.

Schpundy.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: schpundy on February 18, 2012, 03:23:51 PM

Thank You everyone for the great advise.  I wasn't even aware there was a fan kit that was available.
  I am new to this site and everyone seems to be very nice and informative.  Thank You again.

Schpundy.
Good info given. Dont be a
Stranger. Post some pics of your
Smoke. Let us know how it went. What you did or didn't do. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

theLDP

I plan on the Fan mod in a few months.  This Jerky and stick making is addictive. 

mikecorn.1

Quote from: theLDP on February 18, 2012, 03:36:55 PM
I plan on the Fan mod in a few months.  This Jerky and stick making is addictive.
Tell me about it. I'm heading home from work and the wife says she wants to go out to eat. I said ok but afterwards I need to go buy some
Stuff for jerky or stick session tomorrow. She says, I dont feel like
Going to walmart
Ok, we'll take separate vehicles; I told her. Lol. She ok'd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike