• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Slicing a Brisket

Started by Water101, February 24, 2012, 05:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Water101

When you have a finished Brisket do you separate the two pieces before you slice it so you can go across the grain on both.

Had a Brisket in the smoker at 220 for 3 hours now and the IT is 133 on a 9.5 lbs Brisket.

rcger

I'm gonna separate the point, cube it, add more rub and put it back in the smoker for about 4 hours.  Burnt ends!!!!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Gizmo

I usually cut the brisket before smoking as the ones I get won't fit on one shelf.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

DTAggie

Quote from: Water101 on February 24, 2012, 05:58:44 PM
When you have a finished Brisket do you separate the two pieces before you slice it so you can go across the grain on both.

Had a Brisket in the smoker at 220 for 3 hours now and the IT is 133 on a 9.5 lbs Brisket.

Two school of thoughts on this one.  One is you start cutting the flat against the grain.  When you get to point the grain changes so then you have to pay attention.  Some will separate the two pieces after the cooking process and return the point to make burnt ends.  I found this interesting link today while wasting time on the clock.  Lots of different tips and philosophies from rubs to cooking to slicing.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

TedEbear

Quote from: Water101 on February 24, 2012, 05:58:44 PM

This goes through each step of cooking a brisket from start to finish:  Basic Brisket Tutorial

Ka Honu

Separate.  Slice the flat and serve as is or in sandwiches.  Chop the point for burnt ends, chili, sandwiches, etc.