• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID not controlling temp

Started by SmokinHarry, March 08, 2012, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinHarry

Hello,

Long time lurker here, finally bought an OBS, put the second element in, attached the plug and play Auber and I can't seem to get it to control the temperature.  It just keeps heating! 

I did the auto-tune first thing with a brick on the inside.  Both screens went to 'End'.  Shut the Auber down and fired it back up, it went right to heating.  I have CO1 set to 200 degrees for 6 hours, all other steps are 0'ed out. 

It heated to 200 real quick and then kept on going, all the way up to 250 before I stopped it.  Any idea why it isn't controlling the temp at 200, it has to be something simple I'm missing.

Thanks all!

GusRobin

How do you have it plugged?  Cabinet to PID, PID to power outlet? Where are your probes placed in relation to the meat?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SmokinHarry

Yes, cabinet into the PID and the PID into the wall....also the PID to the smoker box but I don't believe it matters here.  There is no meat in the cabinet, just a brick.  I have the wall mount sensor connected to the first slot on the PID. 

I just tried it again and it shot to 275 before I stopped it.

Thanks for the help here.....trying to work in a butt this weekend

GusRobin

are you sure you have the cabinet plugged into the correct outlet in back of the PID? (just checking the obvious)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SmokinHarry

I have the tower connected to the normal 3 prong outlet on the back of the PID.

One thing I did notice is that the PID numbers didn't change after auto-tune.  The PID numbers are still 70, 600, and 150 respectively.  At the end of an auto-tune, does yours flash 'End' on both screens of the PID until you get back to it?  The manual says it will simply stop flashing.

mikecorn.1

Yes, it will stop flashing once the auto tune is done. Mine took right at 40 minutes to tune the dual 500w elements with the fan running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SmokinHarry

Something must have went wrong with the auto-tune, I'm going to do it again.  Will check back

mikecorn.1

Quote from: SmokinHarry on March 08, 2012, 05:50:22 PM
Something must have went wrong with the auto-tune, I'm going to do it again.  Will check back
Dont know if it's the same issue you are having but you can take a look at this.
500w mod auto tune help
Sent you a PM.

Mike

SmokinHarry

I saw that from a few days ago.  That is exactly why I let it run to 275.  My C01 is set to 200, don't think that 275 is an acceptable level.

SmokinHarry

Well, I don't know what I did wrong the first time.  This most recent auto-tune reset everything to 68, 476, 119.  It is hold a perfect 200 now and everything is awesome.

Thanks for the help folks, don't know what I did wrong the first time. 

On a side note, I'm happy to be rid of the propane brinkmann smoker I had....what a PITA.  I couldn't keep the temp below 275 for nothing, even cutting the entire top off of it kept it at 250 on low.  Good for crispy skinned chicken I guess.

Happy smoking everyone!

mikecorn.1

Glad it all turned out good :)

Mike