• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Casings

Started by Nrcamo, March 19, 2012, 06:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nrcamo

I see some folks adding vinegar to the soaking solution for hog casings. Would someone tell me the reason for doing so? Thanks.

Mr Walleye

It will make the casings have a more tender bit. I've never really had a problem with the bit of the casings but I did try it once. I don't know if I soaked them too long or used too much vinegar but I did have a lot of problems with blowouts while stuffing. You can also use lemon juice or pinapple juice to accomplish it as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Nrcamo

Ok. That helps a bunch. Sounds like a personal preferance thing. I'll give it a try on the next run. Thank You.

cobra6223

I thought it was to help dissolve the little feelers on them, never had a problem with the bite, only tried it a couple times and didin'y notice a big difference so I haven't done it since.

Tenpoint5

The soaking in Vinegar is to remove the fatty veins on the inside of the casings. That's what I was always told. I leave them there fat equals flavor in my world
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 21, 2012, 07:52:45 AM
The soaking in Vinegar is to remove the fatty veins on the inside of the casings. That's what I was always told. I leave them there fat equals flavor in my world

That's a good point Chris, I've also read that it will help remove any fat in the casings and make them clearer as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes