• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My new Bradley BTIS1

Started by kydigger1964, March 23, 2012, 08:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kydigger1964

I'm on my 2nd cook with it and really slow coming up to temp???? Anyone else have this issue?

TedEbear

The Bradley can be slow to reach the desired cooking temp, depending on things like the weather, wind, how much meat you have in it, etc. 

How far open do you have the vent?  Open it at least halfway or full if you are smoking poultry. 

If you want to do away with the sometimes slow speeds to temp you might consider either adding a second element or replacing the original 500W with a 900W finned element.  You'll also need a PID controller, as the slider temp control isn't designed to handle the extra wattage.  There are several how-to articles on doing all of this.

kydigger1964

No meat in it yet, going to be doing 1 rack of baby back ribs. When I filled my drip bowl half full, I did it with cold tap water. Maybe this was a mistake. I've had it heating 30 min. And only up to 150 degrees. Also smoking out of the front of my outside building, threatning rain, and temp is and 73 degree outside.

JZ

Thats about normal. Next time add HOT water to the bowl and turn on the smoke generator it is another 125w and helps it heat up a bit faster.

kydigger1964

watchdog56

Is your heating element glowing red or is the heat coming from the smoke generator?

kydigger1964

It's fine now, didn't have the plug all the way in the back of the smoker, only heat I was getting was smoke generator. Lol thx all.

Jim O

Word of caution - don't let the SG get wet (threat of rain).

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

JZ

I didn't know it was that warm outside where you are. 30 minutes to 150 is normal here but the temps are still below freezing at night and warm up to about 5*C if we are lucky.

viper125

I fill my bowl to 1/2 inch of top. I still use the original and find its usually plenty. Except for refilling on long smokes.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.