• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heat Element Failed on its 3rd use !

Started by Simon1969, April 28, 2012, 06:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon1969

I am getting really fed up with my BDS now. We have owned it 12 days and today was its third use. Preheated to 220f placed in the meat and 90mins later the temp was down to 85f. I checked all the connections and fuses and all were good. Got my meter out and tested the element and its donald ducked!

I am not expecting to be able to get one in a hurry here in the UK and no point in trying to get one sent from over the pond as were on 240v.

Is there any decent quality 240v 500w elements that are a direct replacement for the chinese rubbish these units come with?

I have just emailed the supplier and Bradley so will have to wait and see what happens next. Pretty disappointed as the unit failed on its 1st use due to a dodgy connection and now today when we have guests coming for dinner  >:(
Regards,

Simon

TedEbear

There was a batch of bad elements circulating around last summer but I think they've been pretty much eradicated from the system and Bradley has a different supplier for them now.  Unfortunately, if your smoker was built during that time it may have one of those bad elements, regardless of when you actually bought it.

I had an element go out on me a few weeks ago, too.  I added a second element last year but I guess the one I ordered was from the bad batch.  I bought a replacement from Yard & Pool earlier this week and it arrived in 3 days.  I'm confident the new one is not one of the leftover ones from the bad batch.

Anyway, you can replace the element with another 500W, do the dual 500W element mod or you can get a 900W finned element like some on here have done.  If you add wattage to the system you'll have to add a PID controller since the Bradley temp controller isn't designed to handle the higher wattage.  There are how-to threads on doing the mods if you're interested.

Simon1969

Do you know if the bad elements also affected the 240volt models as everything I have read about them points at 110volt elements.

You would think Bradley would have fitted a larger wattage element from new as so many owners have found the 500w is not up to the job. I didn't think I would have to spend £££ on a Bradley and then another £££ modifying it to work properly, (ie larger elements, PID and a circulating fan).
Regards,

Simon

muebe

Simon sorry to hear about your issue.

As TedEbear stated there was a batch of bad elements and it sounds like you are an unfortunate victim.

You don't need to spend any money upgrading the element,PID,fan ect. Just give Bradley a call I am sure that they can take care of you with a new element. You will need to wait for one to be shipped or contact your local dealer. You should not be charged for the replacement element. If you decide to modify your unit then you will need to pay for the upgrade element out of pocket.

Here is a link to the 240v 900W finned element...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TEMPCO-SS-Heater-2XEF5?Pid=search

Being you are in the UK you might need to find one on your side of the pond ;)

Here is a link to the PID...

Single probe  http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72

Dual Probe  http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151

These are plug-n-play PID controllers that are designed for the Bradley smoker. There are cheaper controllers that must be wired into the system and require you to modify the housing for them to fit.

You must run a PID if you upgrade your element because the Digital controls on the Bradley are designed to work with one 500W element. You will get huge temp swings and could completely damage the digital system.

Many people have done the element, fan, and PID mods because they wanted to and not because they needed to. I like other members like to figure out ways to make our smokers better. If Bradley added all of these things to their smokers than it would push them way out of their market price range.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

There are several members from the UK and nearby areas that have reported the customer service is first rate. So you shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

I all ways keep a spare! Just in case even though i've never used it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Simon1969

Thanks everyone. I will let you know how I get on with the replacement and I will make sure I get a spare.

Thanks for the links to the elements and PID's.

I may well end up doing something in the future as it takes an age to get back up to temperature after opening to baste.
Regards,

Simon

Habanero Smoker

The below link may help provide some hints on how to better improve the temperature control in the Bradley. Look at the second section, that area concentrates on heating problems:

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Simon1969

I have been looking for 240v fan motors and wondered if anyone has tried to fit one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARKINSON-COWAN-TRICITY-BENDIX-OVEN-FAN-MOTOR-NEW-/180695511700?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Ovens_Hobs_Cookers&hash=item2a124ab294#ht_2287wt_956 ?

I have found a local supplier for a 240v 900w element  ;)
Regards,

Simon

Simon1969

I spoke to Bradley yesterday and they said they would send me a replacement element, I enquired about purchasing a spare and they said not to worry as the unit is still under warranty. Not sure if they meant they would send an extra one as a spare or whether they think the new element will last much longer and I won't need a spare lol.

If only one turns up I think I will call them and purchase a spare as we all know if its going to fail it will happen on a weekend  ::)
Regards,

Simon

Toker

I think they will send you only one but if it fail again, as long as your smoker is under warranty, they will send you as many as you need for free but only one at the time.

Simon1969

The new element arrived yesterday, I must say Bradley's customer service is a lot better than the company I bought the BDS from. Now I know they will deal with me direct I will use them instead  ;)
Regards,

Simon