• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cardamon or coriander in Krakowska?

Started by rajzer, April 14, 2012, 09:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajzer

Have been studying recipes for Krakowska, some include coriander, cardamon or nutmeg.  I don't think I want to use nutmeg unless I can determine that it would complement one of the other two.  What I need to decide whether I should use cardamon or coriander.  If you have used either of these spices, let me know how they affect the flavour of the product and which do you prefer?  My meat is now curing and I will be making the sausage in two days.

Habanero Smoker

Either one should compliment nutmeg. Coriander has a slight lemony taste, while cardamon is hard to describe, it's short of a cross between nutmeg or allspice and cinnamon. I'm partial to coriander, because I like the citrus flavor, but choose the one you feel fits your taste profile.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ratherbboating

rajzer got curious and look on the internet for a recipe for this.  Unable to really find one.  If you make it, please let us know what you used and how it turned out.  Might want to try it myself.  Thanks.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

rajzer

There are of course several variations to Krakowska.  Unfortunately some of the supermarket brands do not resemble the original whatsoever.  I once bought one that even my bichon who loved sausage would not eat.  Krakowska always contains a high percentage of lean chunks of fresh ham meat mixed with a low percentage of  fatty pork. Some recipes allow up to 10% beef.  The recipe I am using is as follows:

All meat is from fresh ham legs that I bought on sale for 99cents lb. a few days ago.  The three legs weighed 65 lbs.  After I boned them I divided the meat into 3 categories and ended up with 47 lbs of sausage meat.  I'm only making a 12lb batch of Krakowska.

7lbs of perfect lean meat cut into 1" to 2" chunks (this will not be ground)
3lbs of nice trimmings with some fat (first ground coarse then fine)
2lbs of trimmings with some fat and gristle (ground and emulsified)

Meat cured with 2tsp #1 and 80 grams kosher salt for 2 days in the fridge.

When I mix tomorrow I will add 7 grams white pepper, 1 .5 grams coriander, 2 tbs. dextrose and 3 cloves garlic. 

Will stuff into 55mm x 11 in. tan fibrous casings. 

cobra6223

ok I'm confused and trust me it don't take much to get me confused ;D.. ok, you have 3 different groups of meat ground up? but how did you use the cure and kosher salt to cure the different meats, then you mixed aftercuring, would you not mix all 3 and then cure? I tried this stuff from a market in minneapolis minn, the place was featured on diners, drive-ins and dives. This stuff is killer!! this place made fresh sausage once a week so the early got the best pickings but we still had a huge variety to chose from what a adventure. Thanks for explaining this to me.
Tim

rajzer

No, the meat is not ground at this stage.  This is the traditional Polish way of preparing meat.  It is in chunks and in the cure in the fridge.  I mixed the #1 with the salt, then calculated the correct amount for each category of meat.  The lean chunks, 60%, then 25% and 15%, of the salt cure mixture.  It is curing in three different containers in the fridge.  Tomorrow I will grind the 3lb batch and emulsify the 2lb batch.  I will then bring the 3 batches together (the lean 7lb batch will not be ground), add the spices, mix and stuff.  About  half a litre of water will be used in the emulsifying process.   Hope this explains it.  It's a bit of extra work, but the results are definitely worth it. 

cobra6223

Thanks for the explanation I really appreciate it....please post lots of pics. Thanks again Tim

rajzer

Had a few issues with stuffing.  I used my #12 Lem with the stuffing plate and because the cut chunks were so large, some kept getting stuck and only the finely ground and emulsified meat was going through.  I had to stop and cut the meat into no bigger than 1 inch pieces.  Moral of the story is:  get yourself a stuffer!  I also should have used the 24" fibrous casings, the little guys are hard to work with, but they are the perfect size to give to some of your favorite friends.  This is the first time I emulsified a portion of the meat, fat and some gristle, and am very happy with the results.  The emulsified matter acts as an excellent binder in this type of recipe where you have such large chunks.  I used cherry pucks for smoking and they resulted in a pleasant, almost sweet smelling product.  The Krakowska is very light in colour because it was entirely made from fresh hams.   There is about 15% less salt in the recipe than in Marianski's book and I'm glad I adjusted it because all the other flavours come through nicely and complement each other.  I will definitely stick close the proportions I used on this occasion the next time I make Krakowska.]

ghost9mm

Heck of a job my friend, the money shot sure looks great...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill