• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BTDS108P temperature performance

Started by beezer, April 16, 2012, 09:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beezer

I purchased my unit approx. 18 months ago. So far, I have used the unit three times. I find that the temperature control is not accurate. I added a second thermal probe to track the internal air temperature and found the actual temp to be 10degrees lower than the display. Additionally, the regulation of the temperature is not constant. I have found the temperature to be 20degrees lower, at times, from the desired temperature. Is this common performance? It took 18hours to smoke two pork butts that I cut in half to help reduce the cook time. I also built a box around my unit using 1 inch insulation board so any wind would not be a factor. The average outside temp was 65F.
The prior two usages had the same performance.
So far I have to say the $600 was a waste of money.  The unit seems to have minimal insulation and heat retention.  :(
Any suggestions on improving the performance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Beezer.

mikecorn.1

If you want tight temps, you need to go with a second 500w or a 900w element with a PID. You are still going to have to go low and slow. Yeah, butts will take that long even with the upgrades. Sometimes longer.  The thermometer in these units are accurate to where they are placed and that's just it. You are taking the temp of the cabinet where it is mounted. Also because the Bradley turns the element on and off, is why you are getting the Big temp swings. With the PID, you don't cause it anticipates the drop and rise of temps when you first autotune it. Therefor it will adjust accordingly to maintain the temp you set it at. Hope this makes sence. Hopefully others will chime in. I'm at work now. ;D gots to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

watchdog56

You might want to wrap a brick in foil to help retain heat also.

KyNola

beezer, the temp swings you see are common in the Bradley and as the internal temp of the meat comes up to temp, the heat swings will lessen.  The Bradley is adequately insulated.  Don't believe me?  Put your hand anywhere on the outside of it.  The biggest enemy of the Bradley is the wind blowing across the top of the tower, thereby sucking the heat right out through the top vent.  Don't close the vent, that will only worsen the temp recovery.  Instead, figure out a way to block the wind from blowing across the vent.  Also, don't open the door anymore than is absolutely necessary.  As for the butts, I have had them take 25 hours before so 18 is not out of the ordinary.  That variable is primarily based on the pig, not the Bradley.

I'm not trying to be mean but you have used your Bradley 3 times in 18 months or roughly once every 6 months.  Before you discard it or spend more money on additional equipment that you may not need, get some experience under your belt with it.

We are all here to help you get to know your Bradley and get the most out of it.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Breezer;

Welcome to the forum.

The below link will take you to where several tips/techniques etc; that may be useful:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sjmcdowall

Hey Habenero -- which I click that link I'm getting a 404 error?

muebe

Quote from: sjmcdowall on May 05, 2012, 06:28:35 PM

They are having trouble with the site. That is why you are getting an error.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: muebe on May 05, 2012, 07:29:30 PM
Quote from: sjmcdowall on May 05, 2012, 06:28:35 PM

They are having trouble with the site. That is why you are getting an error.
Trouble with recipe site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike