• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Pork Butts

Started by jburdt, May 11, 2012, 08:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburdt

Ok I got a brand new 611 smoker pork butts from Sam's Club about 16.5# and some rub from texasbbqrub.com.  I am guessing on about 24 hours in the smoker at 210 from what I have read with 5 hours of pecan smoke. Question is do I need to mix the pecan with anything and do I need to do anything with the pork after I place it into the smoker wrap or mop or just leave it go. Any help would be grat. Thanks

TedEbear

The different flavor smoke seems to be an individual preference.  Some people like to mix and others tend to choose one flavor and go with just it for the whole session.  I usually do apple or maple for a pork butt, 4 hours max.

As far as the temp, I set my smoker to 220*F and shoot for an internal temp of 195*F.  I did 5 butts last weekend in two different sessions.  One package from COSTCO had two 8 lb butts.  I smoked them both at the same time.  The first one was done in a little under 12 hours.  The other one took 16 hours.  Both were the same weight, out of the same package.

jburdt

OK I have about the same package 2 8# so maybe I will shoot for the 16hr time. Do you do anything with them while they are smoking as far as foil or spray?
THanks for your help

mikecorn.1

I don't do anything to them, put them in and let them go. I wouldn't be set on a time frame if I was you. All pork butts are different. I've had small ones take longer than other bigger ones all depends on the makeup of the meat and fat content. Just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

Congrats on your recent purchase.  Me, I do nothing to the butts once they go in the smoker.  Every time you open the door you lose a ton of heat and slow heat recovery.

"If you're looking, you're not cooking". :)

jburdt

Thanks for the information I seen one article that said to spray them every 2 hours with apple juice but I was thinking that would play with the temp too much from everyones other posts on here. Thanks Again for the information

TedEbear

Quote from: jburdt on May 11, 2012, 09:58:46 AM
OK I have about the same package 2 8# so maybe I will shoot for the 16hr time. Do you do anything with them while they are smoking as far as foil or spray?

Unlike with ribs I just put pork butts in and leave them alone until they're done.  I change the water and dump the spent pucks in my 9x13 pan after the smoke part of the cooking is finished but that's the only time I open the door until the first one is done.

muebe

You have some good info now so get smoking ;)

Don't forget the pics :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

The542

How'd they turn out? My first butt just went in, can't wait to fork that thing apart!
BDS4 w/ cold smoke adapter
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

jburdt

Started them around 5pm 5/12 one is at 190 the other is stuck at 167 at 730 am 5/13.

jburdt

how do I post pics when it is done?

TedEbear

Quote from: jburdt on May 13, 2012, 05:22:27 AM
how do I post pics when it is done?

Upload your pics to a free host site, such as Photobucket.  Underneath each saved pic in Photobucket are several boxes.  Click on the one that says "IMG Code".  That automatically copies the contents into your clipboard.  Then just paste it into a message on here.  Click on the "Preview" button before you post it to see that it worked.