More GB Jerky

Started by JZ, June 01, 2012, 09:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Just finished up my second batch of jerky. Last time I did a 3 lb batch as recommended on the HM kit instructions. It didn't last long so this time I figured I would do more. 8 lbs this time. 5 lbs using the HM kit and 3 lbs using my own concoction. I followed the general rule of 1/4 cup of liquid per lb of meat and used 1/2 cup of terriyaki, 1/4 cup soya, 1 tsp of garlic powder and 2 tsp of ground cayenne. I would have used VERI VERI but don't have any and can't find it around here. But to my surprise the concoction turned out great - better than the HM flavour.

First pic shows the jerky all shot and laying on the racks, with the shooter on top. I learned something new. The racks hold 1 lb of meat each. 8 lbs of meat = 8 racks of jerky.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/JZ-bucket/Smoker/Smoker%202/e123.jpg[/img]]

After shooting there was a little left in the gun which I had to fry up and oooooooh that was good.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/JZ-bucket/Smoker/Smoker%202/e124.jpg[/img]]

And of course the finished product.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/JZ-bucket/Smoker/Smoker%202/e125.jpg[/img]]

I thought that 8 lbs was going to be enough for our fishing trip this summer but after my wife, daughter and grandsons tasted it - I think I am going to have to make more. So the wife is off to town to get more extra lean GB while it is still on sale.

It sure took a long time to do this in the smoker - almost 11 hrs in total. Last time I smoked then used my little dehydrator to finish and it only took about 6 hrs total. Either going to have to get a bigger dehydrator or plan on long session with the smoker.

Even with 2 fans running full time I had to rotate the racks every hour. So maybe a bigger dehydrator is the answer.

pikeman_95

JZ
Good looking jerky.
I sure wish you could get some SOY VAY Veri Veri Teriyaki. I have found that using it at 3.3 oz / pound of meat and adding what ever pepper you want for heat makes the greatest GB jerky. With out a doubt It makes some of the best jerky I have ever made. I use about 3 tbs of crushed red pepper / 10 pounds of burger. It has some heat but not intolerable.
KC

mikecorn.1

Nice looking jerky! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

Very nice jerky JZ I would love to have a stick now, my problem is I can't ever make enough. I also have a dehydrator that is too small these days. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ghost9mm

Nice lookin jerky, great color...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

JZ

Thanks for the complements.

Kirby I see that Devo has a thread about mock Soy Vay and I may give that try. He has done some experimenting and is pleased with the final outcome. I bought the ingredients a few days ago but got lazy and just decided to do my own thing when I made this batch of jerky. However I just finished vac sealing the jerky and of course I was sampling the stuff while I was at it and I noticed that the HM kit was juicier than my mix, even though mine came off the smoker first. Mine was a little on the dry side compared to the HM. But the HM mix is a little too salty for my liking. I think I will give the Devo Veri Veri recipe a go with your recommendations for the meat mix.

GusRobin

Quote from: JZ on June 01, 2012, 02:29:10 PM
Thanks for the complements.

Kirby I see that Devo has a thread about mock Soy Vay

Anyone have a link to it?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

JZ

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.