• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jerky smoking away

Started by MRH, March 05, 2006, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

Well I am doing my first try with the Bradley , I have 5 lbs of sliced deer jerky in. I am trying to get it up to around 175 and it is up to 160 after a hour and smoking away it is around 30 or so degrees here.  Can't wait to see how it comes out, it is sure hard not to peek.  I have it in a shed so it is not too breezy which I know is helping with the temp. Well gotta go check the temp so I can turn it down when it reaches where I want it.

Mark[:D]

Arcs_n_Sparks

MRH,

Welcome to the forum. Let us know how things come out.

Many consider the door thermometer inaccurate. You should think about an electronic probe as you move down the smoke trail.[8D]

Arcs_n_Sparks

MRH

All done, the jerky turned out real well.  I used High Mountain Pepper/Garlic mix on sliced deer meat, and hickory pucks making smoke for 1.5 hours.  It ran around 3 to 4 hours from the first ones off until the last ones were done.  I think I should have done some moving around a little sooner and had it take a bit longer as some were a little overcooked.  I do have a digital thermometer for when I get into doing some roasts etc.  I used it to check the temperature when I seasoned the smoker and it appears that the thermometer that is mounted in the smoker runs around 10 degrees low at least up 190 or so.  I think I will really have fun using this once I get a better feel for it.

jaeger

MRH,
It sounds like you had pretty good luck with your first batch of  jerky! Two things I like about High Mountain jerky seasoning, A) It has good flavor and B)It is pretty easy to use. You don't have a lot of mixing and measuring involved.
 Like you mentioned, I rotate the racks within the first 1 1/2 hours and about every hour or so after that. I sometimes even move the pieces around on the screens to help with the heat distribution.
One more comment, I never use a temp probe on jerky if I am using thin slices. After making it a few times, you will be able to tell by looking at it, if it has reached a proper temp.

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

MRH

It did turn out well it is about a third gone already.  I have one of those Brinkman pitmaster smokers and I have tried jerky in it before, and it is awful hard to keep from overcooking.  This Bradley is much better for jerky. I use the Brinkman to do around a dozen chickens to give to neighbors for Christmas each year (Can do 8 at a time) which turn out real good, but I really have to babysit it and rotate them around to keep them from burning on the end near the firebox.

Mark