• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rib Tips - Recipe Anyone?

Started by sjmcdowall, June 20, 2012, 10:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmcdowall

I'm doing some slabs of SLS Ribs (St. Louis Style) but will only get the full spareribs (cheaper) and will cut the rib tips off.  Wondering if anyone has some good ideas on how to cook these? I was thinking of a simple

-- Cut them into 2" or so "sections".
-- Put Jan's on them
-- Smoke 'em for 2-3 hours (while the "real" ribs are smoking)
-- Sauce 'em a bit
-- Serve them

That a decent game plan? Or should I sauce/grill them a bit after the smoke?

Cheers!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 20, 2012, 10:09:25 AM
I'm doing some slabs of SLS Ribs (St. Louis Style) but will only get the full spareribs (cheaper) and will cut the rib tips off.  Wondering if anyone has some good ideas on how to cook these? I was thinking of a simple

-- Put Jan's on them
-- Sauce 'em a bit
-- Serve them

Cheers!
Here's a good guide How to makes ribs in a Bradley
Some of us will vary the temps. 3-2-.5  or 2-3-.5 or 2-2-.5 or a full 1 hour at the end. The longer you leave them at the end naked, the more they will stiffen up. Thats why I like to go .5 hour. or less  :o
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I use to cook spare ribs with very little trimming. Since I started trimming my spare ribs I have made Rib Tips a few times, now I use the tips in making McRib's.

Rib tips sometimes take longer then the St. Louis ribs, so you may want to cook them the same as you do ribs. The tips are considered the toughest part of the rack. I generally cook them in one piece, but cutting into 2" wide strips will work. I once cut them into about 1" cubes, and that was quite a failure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sjmcdowall

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on June 20, 2012, 10:28:47 AM

-- Put Jan's on them
-- Sauce 'em a bit
-- Serve them

Cheers!
Some of us will vary the temps. 3-2-.5  or 2-3-.5 or 2-2-.5 or a full 1 hour at the end. The longer you leave them at the end naked, the more they will stiffen up. Thats why I like to go .5 hour. or less  :o

Hey Mike -- Ribs I know but thanks!  These are RIB TIPS -- the top portion of the rack of spareribs ... that you cut off to make St. Louis Style ribs ..

sjmcdowall

Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 22, 2012, 11:47:40 AM

-- Put Jan's on them
-- Sauce 'em a bit
-- Serve them

Cheers!

Hey Mike -- Ribs I know but thanks!  These are RIB TIPS -- the top portion of the rack of spareribs ... that you cut off to make St. Louis Style ribs ..

Wow -- thanks for the heads up.. I think I'll try cutting them and then cook them as I do the main rack .. never figured they'd take as long but good to know! I'll post the results! :)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 22, 2012, 11:47:40 AM

-- Put Jan's on them
-- Sauce 'em a bit
-- Serve them

Cheers!

Uh oh, my bad. That's what I get for not reading carefully. ;D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike