• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

cure #1 vs cure #2

Started by mhiykmeel63, June 26, 2012, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhiykmeel63

Can someone tell me what the difference is between these. Where can I get #1?  AllI seem to be able to find is #2. Help, please!!!!!

GusRobin

Here is some definitions:

Cure # 1 is a basic cure that is used to cure all meats that require cooking, smoking, and canning. This would include poultry, fish, hams, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef, pates, and many other products. Use when smoking or processing products at low temperatures. It is dyed pink so that it won't be mistaken for ordinary salt. It consists of 93.75% table salt and 6.25% sodium nitrate.

Cure # 2 is cure specifically formulated to be used for making dry cured products, such as pepperoni, hard salami, geonoa salami, proscuitti hams and dried farmers sausage. These are products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. Cure #2 is sodium nitrate with a salt carrier. This cure acts as a time release, breaking down into sodium nitrite, then nitric oxide thus allowing for the much longer curing times required for these products, which can be up to 6 months. Dry curing meat or sausage properly cannot be done with Cure #1 which contains sodium nitrite only and dissipates too quickly.

You can get cure 1 at places like Alliedkenco.com; sausagemaker.com
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mhiykmeel63 on June 26, 2012, 07:08:02 PM
Can someone tell me what the difference is between these. Where can I get #1?  AllI seem to be able to find is #2. Help, please!!!!!

Why dont you master the use of cure 1 before you get into cure 2.

mhiykmeel63

That's what I want to do, but I couldn't find cure 1. Now that I have some sources I'll get dome

Habanero Smoker

Here is some more information about the different curing salts. Cure #1 and Cure #2 are generic names. Manufacturers sell them under different brand names. The link below gives additional information, and many of the various names they go by.

Curing Salts

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mhiykmeel63