• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Spilled Water Worries

Started by ge, March 11, 2006, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ge

In my haste to get smoker out of rain, I pulled it inside forgetting I had put water in the water bowl. It wasn't plugged in but there was water inside. Have I ruined the electric guts ? I used towels and am thinking of using a hair dryer next. Any ideas ? I have got 8 pounds of walleye to smoke to use in lasagna plus some salmoln for a friend in the hospital. Thanx for any/all advise. New to this forum, got a BS for X-mas. I'm pretty good at Tri-tip. My first BS smoke was a pork shoulder for Deep Dish BBQ Pie. This was to be my first fish smoke,but now i am all wet. Thanx again.

Habanero Smoker

I would take off the plastic cover that houses the thermostat, and use the air dryer to dry things out. If there was going to be an electrical problem, that would be the area it would happen at. Once that is dry, and assuming no food or grease made there way into that area (it unlikely) you should be set to go.

Hopefully most of the water collected in the tray, and it is possible that not much got into the wiring.

P.S.
Be careful when you place the plastic cover back on, don't tighten the screws too much, or you will crack the plastic, giving moisture a better chance to reach the electrical wiring

Also post your recipe for the pie.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ge

Thanx for info. Used a hair dryer and smoker seems to work fine now. The deep dish bbq pie recipe is from "Peace, Love & Barbecue" by Mike Mills/Amy Mills Tunnicliffe. Have used 5 recipes from book so far, all wonderful. Made 2 pies for Super Bowl party, 1 with Gates extra hot bbq sauce and the other with Apple City BBQ sauce recipe from book. 2 lbs pulled pork. 6 tablesppons BBQ sauce. 2 teaspoons Magic Dust (all purpose rub from book) 4 cups pit beans (recipe from book) 2 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes. I can (4 oz) chopped jalapenos. 2 tablespoons instant tapioca. 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix. 2 tablespoons sugar. Preheat oven to 350. Coat 13 x 9 baking dish with PAM. Make layer of pork on bottom. Spread bbq sauce over pork, sprinkle with dust. Mix beans w/ tomatoes and its juice, jalapenos & tapioca. Spread mixture over pork. Add sugar to cornbread mix and follow directions on the box. Spread batter over the beans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Try to let set 5 minutes. Slice, serve and smile. Strongly endorse getting copy of book. Great stories, great recipes.

owrstrich

ge... aint never hads smoked walleye...

some of these salmon folks around here may not agree but there aint no better eating fishes than pan fried blue gills and walleyes...

and favorable mention... aint never hads a cornbread dish that had any
leftovers...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />some of these salmon folks around here may not agree but there aint no better eating fishes than pan fried blue gills and walleyes...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I second that!! [:p]

Bubbagump

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">.......some of these salmon folks around here may not agree but there aint no better eating fishes than pan fried blue gills and walleyes....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I jes might agree with you if I wuz down there where King salmon comes in a pouch, Owrstrich.....but I ain't, so I cain't!! [;)][:D]

Funnin' aside, I've had the salmon (I know...."Duhhhh"!) and the blue gill, but not the walleye, so I'll have to just take your word for it. I Reckon I'll just have to keep eating it ALL until a clear winner comes to the surface!! [:D][:p][;)]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

icerat4

yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Smoke is on...

bugboat

ge, I love smoked salmon and trout, and I also agree that there isnt anything better than fried bluegill or walleye. I also like just about anything that is smoked. But I always assumed that white meat fish like bluegill and walleye would be too dry after smokeing because they have very little fat or oil. What is your experiance with this?

common sense isnt common

Arcs_n_Sparks

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />ge... aint never hads smoked walleye...

some of these salmon folks around here may not agree but there aint no better eating fishes than pan fried blue gills and walleyes...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think the Michigan folks may have something to say about perch...

Arcs_n_Sparks

Swany777

"Peace, Love, and BBQ"  great book.  I re-read that this weekend, as I just got my Bradley Smoker this Saturday.  A friend of mine published this book and gave me a copy.  Good read and good recipes.

iceman

Just did some trout this weekend. I cold smoked it with pecan for an hour then breaded and pan fried it. Holy smokes I couldn't get rid of the neighbors! It was a very nice treat.[:p]