Jan's Rub Jerky

Started by nasels, July 07, 2012, 08:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasels

Started a batch of Jerky with Jan's Rub. There was a post on this a while back and I was still curious of the results.

I went with Jan's rub and added some crushed red pepper for kick. I like the pepper flakes in my jerky. Started with a small 1lb venison test batch. No other additives. I used a little more powder than a hi- mount kit recommended for 1lb of ground beef.

Into the new Cabelas 10 tray :)

mikecorn.1

Any progress? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

nasels

Money shot or should I say 1/2 money shot. My daughter five fingered half of it right out the dehydrator still warm and retreated to her room ;D

She said it was the best I have made so far. My other batches have been Hi-mountain and LEM mixes. The Jan's is a little sweet due to the brown sugar if you like sweet jerky--- she loved it. The crushed pepper is the kicker for me.
I added 1TBS of Jan's per pound of GB. I think I will step it up a tsp or two next time just to see how it goes. But definitely a keeper as it is ;) Thanks JAN :-*!!! KyNola hope you didn't mind the little peck on the cheek ;D
Gotta go now and get me some Jan's Jerky I see already it ain't gonna last long.

viper125

Yes been doing that for a while and it is good. I add red pepper and Worcestershire Sauce   to mine but for the kids I use straight. About two table spoons per lb,1tsp of Worcester Sauce  and a teaspoon of red pepper to every couple lbs. But either way it is excellent. I also smoke mine then try in dehydrator. You've got some great color there. I have thought a little molasses might even darken it more and add an interesting taste. If I ever get caught up around here i'll try.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Consooger

that looks really good. I'm gonna havta try that some time when I have the courage to do GB jerky again
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

mikecorn.1

That turned out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Yep! Nice color on those!

Gonna have to give this a try ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

Looks great nasels!  Thanks for the compliments.  Here's a different version you could try.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?740-Jan-s-Spicy-Dry-Rub

SiFumar

Great looking jerky...good color too!

SNIPERS215

That looks great. Getting ready to put on my 2nd batch of jerky today. Took the first batch to a party for some tasting and suggestions from my friends. It didn't last very long.
YOUR BIGGEST ADVERSARY... HIDES IN THE MIRROR