Replacing Grizzly 5lb Sausage Stuffer Gears

Started by billzed, July 11, 2012, 04:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billzed

Hello all this is my first post to this forum but I have been reading it for quite some time.  I have been making sausage for the past 2 years mostly from Charcuterie Ruhlman/Polcyn but have recently made 10lbs of hot dogs using a recipe from this forum to much acclaim.

I recently purchased the LEM Metal gears for my 5lb Grizzly stuffer and are having some difficulty removing the nylon gears. The nylon gears only recently started acting up on me so I'd like to keep them intact after removing them as a backup.  I see many references of people who made the gear switch, so I assume I am missing something.   If someone could post on how they accomplished this task it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,,

Bill

SouthernSmoked

I'll send Tenpoint5 a message to see if he can give you a hand..... I know that he replaced his recently.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Flip the tower over and remove the two nuts on the bottom of the base. The shaft will come all the way out once you remove the base.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

billzed

Thank you sirs! that did the trick.

Now I have the metal gears in position but I am having yet another issue, the metal rod does not want to thread through the metal gears and seems stuck.  Also at this point the gears aren't really catching all that well, I assume when the rod is threaded through the gears they will come together.  Am I missing something yet again?

Thanks again,

Bill

Tenpoint5

the threads on the center rod and the gears are pretty close. What your having problems with is the keyway it is a tight fit I had received a new center so I had put that in and everything was back together. The metal gears are a tad smaller so the move around more

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

billzed

Thanks I managed to get the gears threaded with some messing around.  Though as you point out, the metal gears are a bit smaller than the nylon gears, and they do move around some when the stuffer is being cranked.  It looks like this is due to the smaller gear wobbling in it's holder.  Did you do anything to make the smaller gear more stable?

Tenpoint5