• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heating element issues?

Started by Skishy, August 08, 2012, 09:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skishy

Hey everyone. I have a problem and wonder if I can get some help. I have 2 Bradleys and I am coming across the problem that one of my Bradleys heat right up but the other one is taking a lot longer to reach temps that the other Bradley can do in a lot less time. They both are on the same outlet/circuit but I only ever one Bradley at a time so far. So I wonder if the heating element on my Bradley that takes its time to heat up if that's a heating element problem or what else it could be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

Habanero Smoker

My first thought was that one was drawing too much power from the circuit, but I see you never have both running at the same time. My understanding is that the element is like an incandescent light bulb; it will burn at full power until it burns out.

Assuming that when you set up the Bradley you do it in the same way; ie same extension cord, vent opening etc.; it could be a loose connection some wheres, that just needs to be tighten up; or a dirty connection that needs cleaning. I would first plug the cabinet with the element that is slower to heat up directly into an outlet, and see if it performs better. If so the problem may be a loose wire in the generator. If it doesn't perform any better the problem may be in the cabinet.

Is there any difference in the age of the models, and if so how much? Bradley continuously make minor revisions.

Do both have the same type of element? If one model is eight years or older, you will have a glass element; but I'm not sure if there would be a difference in the time period they reach full power.

Are you sure the slider controls in the further position to the right? Some members state there is a dead spot if you move all the way to the right; but I have not found that to be so. So those members back off a hair. Or it could be you may have a faulty circuit board.

If the trouble shooting doesn't help, I would give Bradley a call.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Skishy

Thanks for the help. I know the one that heats up faster is over 8 years old. The other one I'm not sure how old because I bought them both used off Craigslist. I thought it was the element because the 8 year old Bradley the element looks brand new. I use the same extension chord, vent setting and slide it all the way to the right for preheating.

I think I maybe doing a time comparison test to show how long each Bradley takes to preheat to 225.

2 - 4 rack OBS

Skishy

I only bring it up because it seems that my stainless bradley thats taking a while to heat up is seeming to take longer and longer to heat up.

2 - 4 rack OBS

beefmann

sounds like it might be a variation in the elements causing this issue, one having more heat output then the other with all other issues being  equal. quick way to check is to take an amp reading of each element and see what you have, it should slightly  over 4 amps on each heater along,,, not counting the smoke generator

Skishy

How do I take an amp reading on the elements? Who knew owning a Bradley I would become a electrician. Haha. Not that its a bad thing.

2 - 4 rack OBS

Skishy

I think I may have found my problem. Either bad wall plug or the cabinet plug may have came loose while replacing the busted faceplate that came with it when I bought it. For kicks and grins I plugged it in tonight and within a few moments it was up to 100 degrees without really trying. A buddy of mine is coming over tomorrow to test connections anyways just to double check it's all working the way it should.

2 - 4 rack OBS

Habanero Smoker

Great!

I hope you resolve the issue soon, and be up and smoking at full power.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)