Need tips for Tri-Tip

Started by GusRobin, August 24, 2012, 06:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Going to try my first tri-tip this weekdend. It is 2 2/3 lbs. Any suggestions/tips. Roughly how long at 225# do you estimate and to what IT?
(Actually it is technically my second. Took one out of the freezer last night to put in the fridge to defrost. Laid it on the counter. Got distracted and forgot about it and woke up this morning with it fully defrosted. So better safe than sorry I had to throw it out.)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Gus this is a copy of my Tri-tip advice I gave on another thread. Tri-tips finish around 3 hours at 225F. If you go the brisket style your looking at 5 hours.

Now I have grilled and smoked many Tri-Tips before. I have always taken them to the 140F internal temp range.

Just recently I decided to make one more like a brisket. I got this idea from a friend that does it all the time. I have to admit it turned out fantastic!

I put it on the pellet grill at 260F until the IT of the tri-tip was at 130F. Then I removed it and wrapped it tightly in foil with garlic, butter, and more rub. Then returned it to the grill until the IT was at 200F. I let it rest for an hour and it was so tender. I was shocked.

Don't know if you want to give this a try but it is really good.

Otherwise you can rub the tri-tip in white pepper, black pepper, and salt. Then stuff it with garlic slivers by making slits with a filet knife in the meat going with the grain and then push the garlic into the slits.

Then get a cast iron skillet with a small layer of oil searing hot. Take the tri-tip and place it in the skillet for a few minutes a side. This closes the slits and forms a nice outer crust.

Now cook indirect until you get to a IT of 140F then pull, rest, and slice across the grain.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

Thats pretty much How I do mine minus the cast iron skillet, I just braise it over 500° Coals then close the dampers and bring my primo back down to 225° F which takes a little time. I like the skillet method, sounds good.

beefmann

i have done my tri tip with a the following  dusting of seasonings

paprika
Granulated garlic
black pepper
ground mustard

for a 2 lb tri tip

smoke with your favorite smoke for 1 hour 20 min.  and cook at a box temp of 225 till an it of 150 and pull.. if you  like it a bit on the rare side try at 140 IT

TMB

OK Gus, where did you find it?   The one I bought at Star Market was not a tri-tip but a sirloin cap according to Muebe.  It was good but not a tri-tip  :-\
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

GusRobin

Tommie,
I bought it at restaurant depot in Nashville. I bought a cryovac pack that had 6 in them. Had to throw one away because I left it out all night. Would you like one? I'll give you a call tomorrow and can arrange to meet you and give you one. When is the church BBQ?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

When I got Tri's home, I used that "phone a friend" thingie. (Gizmo)

I used a Hot grill and seared it at 500* on each side for 5 minutes then low smoked it

till 135* foil and rest, then ate. was awesome.

since I brought home a 1/2 ton I looked for other ways. I have thin sliced raw and marinaded and

made fajitas. again awesome.