• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First attempt at the 3-2-1 method

Started by smccreary, August 13, 2012, 09:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smccreary

I altered it a bit to my personal taste... did 2.5 - 2.5 - 45min

Started off with one of my favourite rubs, left them wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge overnight.

Sunday morning, getting to room temp.

Waiting for right heat.

After 2.5 hours of Cherry smoke, ready to be juiced and foiled up

After 2.5 hours in foil

Sauced up with Sweet Baby Rays, ready to go back in for final hour

Took them out after 45 mins - couldn't wait any longer!  Deliciousness.

beefmann

mikecorn.1

Those look great. Nice work. Sometimes I will go .5 at the end.
Mike

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Keymaster

mschoonmaker

Why is it called the 3-2-1 method when 2.5 hrs smoke, 2.5hrs foil, 0.75 hrs sauce, ?.? Hrs FTC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikecorn.1

Quote from: mschoonmaker on August 15, 2012, 06:01:24 PM
Why is it called the 3-2-1 method when 2.5 hrs smoke, 2.5hrs foil, 0.75 hrs sauce, ?.? Hrs FTC?

3-2-1 method is just a guide to make the ribs. some of us alter it to suit our needs and or our likes in smoke flavor and or tenderness. Yes, the first # is smoke, second is time in foil, and third is time naked out of the foil to stiffen back up and or to set the paint you put on them if you like.
Mike

mschoonmaker

Thanks very much, that's what I thought but the previous description was obviously a ways away from 3-2-1.

My first (and only, so far) run at baby backs was dry rub only and did not use a crutch at all. Pulled out and FTC w internal temp @ 190.  I also did not sauce them until serving. While taste was great, they had more chew to get off bone than the wife likes. Which of these times/technique elements will most affect the "pull off bone easy" results?

Thanks

Kahunas

The 2 part will probably be the most infuential in tenderness and moistness. I have had to go as long as 4 hours in the foil with some very stubborn St. Louis cut ribs to make them tender.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

chiroken

I do 3-2.5-.5. I want the ribs to stay more soft rather than firming up. I add apple juice when in the foil.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Bear1968

That is your starting point .... build from there  :)
UBC Local 268