LEM Trail Bologna Directions

Started by OTB, September 14, 2012, 10:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

I have a box labeled LEM Backwoods Trail Bologna that has casings cure string, but no directions.  It says it is enough to make 10 lbs of sausage and has 10 casings.

Does anyone have the directions for this?

Ketch22

Hi
Is there a pack of mix in the box. The directions are on the back of the pack. If not then they forgot to put the pack of mix in the box. You mite have to call or email LEM about the mix. I just did 20#of the Trail Bologna with deer meat it came real good. Good luck

OTB

Yes there are some cryptic directions on the spice mix.  Basically says mix with 10 lbs of meat, of which should have 20% pork...but not sure if I should use ground beef and a ground pork butt or what is recommended.  Also doesn't really say smoking temp etc.

devo

I can not comment on the type of meat you use but I really don't think it matters as Ketch22 said he used deer meat with his. For smoking temps I would start off at 120 for two hours and increase 10 degrees every two hours till the internal temp reaches 152 degrees F. Your final temp on your smoker should be no higher than 160 degrees F. or you just might fat out your Bologna which is not good. Remember pull it from the smoker at 148- 152 degrees F. and ice bath it to stop it from cooking anymore.

Ketch22

HI OTB
The temp that devo used are the same as I used. the deer meat that I had has beef fat Mixed in it and like I said it was real good.  lookup the Summer Sausage Recipes it is the same

Ketch